Saturday, October 2, 2010

Shadow Shot Sunday - Steeples and stone


Shadow Shot Sunday, by Tracy in sunny Brisbane, is upon us again. Thus we happily scurry about in our pursuit of shadows.

The always lovely Patti captured today’s photos as she drove around our small city of Ansonia in the pursuit of shadowy captures of churches in the community. There are quite a few given our small size and waves of immigration throughout the 1800s.

This first building is the Church of the Resurrection, an Anglican Catholic Church. To American eyes, it has a traditional style of a house of worship on the English isle. With classic shadows falling upon it.


This is the massive Church of the Assumption. This gothic style building was completed in 1900. Where the first church has a small profile, this is quite large with the foundation being 183 ft long X 115 ft wide, its spire 95 ft tall (in metric, 35 X 56 X 59 M). 

The shadows is muted by the sun, although there is something unique and perhaps spiritual as the sun seems to be rising above the roof...

Nothing seems to compare with the past when it comes to well constructed stonework, large and yet artfully designed building

The final view is the First Baptist Church, about a mile from our home. Although this building is modern in design (1973), it is actually a congregation that began in 1870. The shadows fall upon the angular steeple.

Of course, this is the church that Patti and I were married in in 1986. No shadows have fallen on us, merely on the building here.

Thanks to Patti for providing such fine shadows in the city of our residence, all captured so nicely! See more shadowy art in all iterations at Hey Harriet!

26 comments:

Tom Hilton said...

Such classic, solid, old churches. I love those.

Sylvia K said...

Oh, yes! Lovely old churches and wonderful shadows for the day! Love the texture of the stones! Hope you and Patti have a great weekend, Ralph!

Sylvia

EG Wow said...

It's a gorgeous church. How interesting that the doors are blue and not red. as Anglican church doors often are here in Canada.

frayedattheedge said...

Sorry Ralph - no photos at all today ..... I even tried accessing your blog direct, rather than through Mr Linky!

anka said...

Lovely shots! The building is so impressive!

Richie's 2ts Inspires said...

For some reasons? I ADORE churches! Just looking at the huge building, I feel so calm & secure.

Very pretty shots, bro? Love the gothic one.

Happy SS & enjoy your Sunday soonest...

x0x0,
/chubzC

Paula Scott said...

Yes, I am partial to images of churches. I especially love the first one! Nice contrast with the shadow and the texture of the stone.

Pagan Sphinx said...

We have a ton of churches in our town, also. Mostly Catholic. But a couple of them have been closed due to the parish's inability to heat them. They've had to consolidate.

Churches are nice places to find good shadows, Ralph!

My Shadow Shot Post

sarayutouched said...

despite the sun hitting it...it looks cold to me. prehaps the sun was going down???? great building!!

Sam said...

These churcjes are very special! Churches seem to incorporate the ultimate of any architectural style, don't they? The top one is my favourite - it is so ye olde worlde! I don't think Australia was even colonised yet by the British when it was built!

Have a lovely week Ralph!

Diane AZ said...

Beautiful shadow shots and I enjoyed the commentary too! The first church looks cozy, almost like a home. It's probably bigger than I think. :)

Cassie said...

Gee Ralph, for some reason I'm getting all your text, but no photos. This is my 2nd try, but I'll be back later to see if they show up. Good commentary though.

Kay L. Davies said...

I agree about the first church having an English look to it, and the word 'Anglican' could be a clue. LOL
I've only been to Connecticut once, for a few days, but was much impressed. So green, and the towns are all so pretty.
Beautiful photos, Ralph. Patti has a good eye for beauty and apparently you do, too.
Best wishes to both of you.

Kay
Alberta, Canada

MyMaracas said...

I love old churches, especially gothic stone ones. They are like fortresses, something solid and permanent in a changing world. Lovely shadows on these, too.

chubskulit said...

I love the shadow on the first shot but the third photo is captivating. It look like God is rising up from the cross of that church.

My entry is in here, have a blessed Sunday!

Hey Harriet said...

You have such beautiful and charming churches in your town Ralph! I do love the way Patti captured them. They look so romantic! Which seems appropriate considering you guys were married in one of them! A lovely post! Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

PS - I had to chuckle at your mention of 'sunny Brisbane' at the beginning of your post. If only you could see it now! A very rainy and miserable weekend!

Jo Williams Photography said...

lovely Ralph, what beautiful old stone work.

nana_ang_poppaphil said...

I love these shots Ralph, old church buildings hold so much history.

Have a great weekend.

Greyscale Territory said...

Sorry Ralph! I came here earlier, but still no photos are appearing! Just the text is here! This sounds like a wonderful photographic walk through your Ansonia!

Quilt Works said...

Lovely collection of church shots - I love the stonework!
Thank you for well wishes! I am not quite back to normal yet, they say it will 4-6 months (I am 2 weeks post surgery), so I know I have to be patient.
Quiltworks

Sweet Repose-Junk Revival said...

Truly testaments to the power and money the churches once wielded, the times they are a changin'...but the structures are still fabulous to look at, gimme the lil' brown church in the vale any ol' day!

Laura said...

beautiful structures...so many shadows!

Dimple said...

Hi Ralph, Thanks for the visit, I always enjoy your comments!
The shadows on these buildings are an interesting addition to the architecture. The last shot is the most eye-catching, it almost looks stretched!

Beverley Baird said...

I love churches - and after reading your post I so wanted to see your photos! But I too can't get them!
Thanks so much for stopping by - always look forward to hearing from you!

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

I love old buildings in general...any many of the old churches are amazing. I especially love the doors on the first one!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

There is something wonderful about stone buildings...even more when they are places of worship! Love the blue doors...I don't think I've ever seen blue doors on a church...but I like it!
Have a great week Ralph....and Patti as well!