Monday, November 15, 2010

Ruby Tuesday - A day in the life (in 1762)







Ruby Tuesday, by Mary, reappears. And we search high and low for reds aplenty.


It is always a pleasure to take a look at local history, not so much to relive it, but instead to see it up close. A favorite blog subject, is the David Humphreys House in Ansonia, home of the Derby Historical Society.


Built in 1695, it was the home of David Humphreys, aide-de-camp to General George Washington in the Revolutionary War. 


It is refreshing to see kids of all ages being part of an educational yet fun experience.





The Derby Historical Society has an open house in November. Since Allegra is a part-time docent for the society, we wanted to visit again and enjoy the tour of the home. 


There is a wheelchair ramp which allows me to enter the first floor. With hearths ablaze, it is stiflingly warm by the central fireplaces, while drafty and cool elsewhere. I am happy to live with central heating.


The food, as per usual, was excellent and included squash pie (left), pumpkin soup (actually made by Allegra), brown bread (made in coffee cans) with freshly churned butter, fresh applesauce, cranberry sauce and a turkey cooked by a fire. The items were cooked and/or finished in cast iron pots by the fire, all heated from above and below with the red-hot embers. Everything was delicious...








An excellent day to explore how life may have been lived in the past. We take for granted things like modern climate control, upholstered furniture, cooktops, and electricity. So, a visit that evokes the way things were done long ago is instructive yet fun.


Allegra is a tour guide for the "Day in 1762” Program, an educational program for local towns 4th-5th grade students. The historical society’s web site notes that "this program to preserve an appreciation and understanding of our region's rich history. We want you to visit our homes...we want to continue raising awareness of our communities' common heritage with a sense of respect and pride”. 


The classic cooking techniques are a fun byproduct!


15 comments:

EG Wow said...

Great, Ralph. I really like these historical reds!

Nora Johnson said...

Hi again Ralph!

Love all those historical reds too!

Happy Ruby Tuesday,

Lola & Nora:)
btw Here’s our quick RT link!

Robin said...

What a fascinating series (and I can see it this week too!) - I love that they run the house more like a living history museum and make the past really come alive.

That meal sounds really fun - and yummy, I wish I'd been there too.

-------------------------------
Brand new at Around the Island Photography -- Photoverse Prints - Faith-Based and Inspirational Custom Photo Art

Gizelle said...

Man may have gone far when it comes to technology yet memories of when life is simple surpasses that. Great look back down memory lane. Have a lovely week!

Liz said...

Love all the reds. Happy RT.

My RUBY link.

Leora said...

Oh, my daughter would love this place so much. The old-fashioned costumes, the smiling faces.

bj said...

O, Ralph, this is perhaps my favorite Ruby post. I love that your pretty daughter is "into" this. She is soo beautiful.
Ya know I also gotta LUV that you did a post on foods. hahaaa

And,now, Mr. Ralph, if you get in that kitchen and start cooking, you are gonna look mighty sexy to your sweet Patti. :)))

Isn't blogging so much fun...I love being friends with you and all the others that live so far away and probably will never meet. I think of you and your use of pretty words each time I see reds..and I think that's a GOOD thing. We all can bond thru our postings and how cool is that!
Take care...and, if it's not against Mary's rules, I will add another red post today. Need to ck with her first, tho. :)

chubskulit said...

I love how they cook the pie and the way they stock the corn is very interesting.

My Ruby Tuesday

Pagan Sphinx said...

Fabulous photos of the field trip. I love this kind of trip, both when my kids were in school and now with my students. And of course, so fun to phtograph as well!

Have a great week, Ralph!

My Ruby Post

Tink *~*~* said...

Mmmm squash pie sounds awesome! I think I can actually smell it from here LOL!

Tink *~*~*

DrillerAA09 said...

I'm not sure we would want to live through some of the winters that our forefathers and mothers endured. Nice ruby red though.

Linda said...

As I told Patti yesterday, I think it's pretty impressive that our forefathers and mothers learned how to cook a 12-pound turkey in only two hours by reflecting light off of tin - very clever!

It's very easy to forget how easy we have it these days compared to how people lived back in 1762 so I think it's great that there are programs like this one at the David Humphreys house that remind people how we got to where we are and what people did to get us there.

Allegra makes a very good docent, too! There wasn't a question that I asked that she didn't know the answer to!

shavuatov said...

Brilliant. And yet weird, as I am just reading a historical novel set during the War of Independence, which I have never read anything about. I'm British, by the way...

Rachel

HOOTIN' ANNI said...

Excellent array this week for the meme. I always enjoy historical blogs like this post!!!


LEGO art is my Ruby Tuesday today, hope you can stop by to join me!!

Dianne said...

I LOVE places like this!
great shots Ralph