Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Sepia Scenes - Sepia Arrival


Sepia Scenes arrives, and the monochrome memories seem to take to our favorite monochrome.


In that envelope full of old pictures that were found in the garage, I found this gem of my dad.


The year is 1970, the place is on the tarmac of JFK airport in the New York City borough of Queens. This is an early flight taken on the brand new Being 747 of the classic Pan American World Airways. This I believe was not too far from the inaugural flight of 21 January 1970. 


The terminal 3 Worldport (I am sure that host Mary remembers JFK then...) was not yet modified for the much larger 747, so one took the steps down outdoors. And minus the current security, pictures from the ground could be taken. Of course, jet travel back then was nicer, and the duty free stuff was probably a bargain. The antique edit of the original B&W seems so perfect on a sunny winter day. See more at Mary’s fun meme!

10 comments:

Robin said...

Hey, I was able to see the photo by clicking on that thin line :).

What a great shot, I love your father's wide open smile.

-----------------------------------
My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

@nemonen said...

Wow Pan AM looks like a big aeroplane, and a great photo of your father. I love old photos too and have som on my blog. Happy sephia

Patti said...

This is such a classic shot of Ralph II. Love it!

Marie said...

I agree with Patti. A classic Ralph sepia. Lovely.

Kim, USA said...

I agree this is a classic and a treasure.
Sepia Scene

Lui, Heaven said...

A treasured shot! Great in sepia too.

Annie said...

Timely photo and he's smiling because he didn't have to endure pat downs.

kaye said...

it is perfect in sepia, I enjoy reading your historical information as well.

Lisa said...

Funny way to introduce your picture!

Nice in sepia!

Linda said...

This reminds me of when flying was fun and you could actually meet the people you were picking up at the airport right at the gate or on the tarmac. Boy howdy those days are long gone, aren't they??