Saturday, February 5, 2011

Shadow Shot Sunday - Details, details

Shadow Shot Sunday, by Tracy in Brisbane, arrives after a (seemingly) endless pattern of frozen precipitation. Obviously, the weather is an immovable object, impervious to our wishes.


So, I turn to the ideal day for me, a sunny early autumn day. The kind that does not involve outerwear or long sleeves, and headgear is optional. The event in question is a local old car show, the viewers myself and daughter Allegra. 
I enjoy old cars - with the wheelchair, I wont be driving them. Just enjoying the days of great looks is style, detail and shadow...


The view above is a 1964 Chevy El Camino, a car-like truck (a Ute in NZ/Oz; the Holden SS-V Ute is stunning :). Style and function work well here, although this pristine  example doesn’t probably carry hay bales or manure in its bed these days...


Back then, not just the sheetmetal was styled, the details were to. To the delight of shadow chasers! The 1955 Ford has a shadowy V-8 badge, and highly chromed trim that highlights the shadow hunter and huntress (thrice)


The heady days of the mid-to-late 1960's indicated that horsepower was king. That and the low gasoline/petrol prices then meant that going fast was no problem.


Chevrolets offered fast cars with big engines that went well...fast! The badge on the electric blue car indicated the mighty 427 engine. Speed is what the gearheads wanted. I actually preferred the shadow that occurred! 
The term in use around 1970 for a certain class of car in the US was musclecar. Cars that went fast, such as the this one were, in power and the detailing here. Such as this 1970 Plymouth Road Runner.


What is more cartoonish than an air scoop on the hood/bonnet that is an air-breathing shark. Odd today, although when I was 15 (at the time), the ridiculous now was really cool then. 


The hood scoop offers a shadow, and the hood tie-down offers a subject, reflection and shadow. The southern leaning sun makes for great shadows!


Finally, the details extend all over the vehicles, from the acres of body steel to the usual - a wing mirror. It is embossed with the Chevrolet 'bow-tie' emblem.


The not clandestine khaki-clad photo taker shows up, too...


At events like this, shadow shots are always on my mind. I seek shadows - and they find me every time!


Follow your shadowy instincts at this so-fun meme from Hey Harriet!

32 comments:

Catherine said...

I love all your car shots - and this series especially the first shot is a real beauty to add to the collection!

Vernz said...

Wow, this baby is so pretty..

love those shots.. especially your car.. nice one..
Shadow Shot Here

sarayutouched said...

i'll take the old cars over snow every time ralph. nice shots.

Sylvia K said...

Terrific car shots and I especially love the first one! The colors and reflections are marvelous and I do LOVE all that sunshine! I'll take old cars over snow anytime, too! Hope you have a great weekend, Ralph! Stay warm!

Sylvia

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

There is certainly something about old cars that makes you smile...whether you pass them on the road, in a parking lot or a show...wow! Some nice looking chrome on those Ralph...I think we'll have to buff up the convertible this year - it needs a lot of work to compare to these beauties!! Enjoy your week Ralph!

frayedattheedge said...

Having just looked at several snowy SSS posts, it was a delight to find that you have blue sky, sunshine, and fabulous cars (we just don't have such cars over here!)

Beverley Baird said...

Now that is some classy car! Great reflections and shadows! Love the colour especially!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

It's good to relive past events when winter makes us housebound!

SILLY SHADOW DITTY

Shadows may or may not be
Patterns of urbanity.
If a shadow threatens you,
Here, my dear, is what to do:
Grab the shadow by the throat,
Toss it to a billy goat,
So the goat can chomp and chew,
Keeping it away from you!


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Chiseled Shadows

Cassie said...

Splashy ShadowShot Mr.Ralph! Now I must go let my hubby see these show pieces. Happy SSS to you!

EG Wow said...

Neat shot, Ralph. It makes me a little warmer thinking about sunny autumn days. :)

fredamans said...

Groovy! Rad! And more groovy!!

http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2011/02/shadow-shot.html

Tom Hilton said...

Nice! Gorgeous car, and the reflections in that first shot are amazing.

Sweet Repose-Junk Revival said...

I remember back in the 60's when us girls would all pile into the car and pool together a quarter each for a can of oil and a full tank of gas...and don't forget the 25 cent Pepsis...ahhh heaven!!!

Have a sunny weekend Ralph!

s

Greyscale Territory said...

Fascinating car details and loved your commentary on each one! Strange how "old cool" transforms into the crazy ridiculous over time!

sunnymama said...

That is one shiny, magnificent car! Lovely shadows and the reflections are great. :)

Dimple said...

Wonderful old cars and shadow shots Ralph!
It's about time for spring to be peeking around the corner, in my opinion, and your sepia scenes shot below confirms it! Time for snow to melt!

Woody said...

What a great collection of shadows and old cars. I, too, love old vehicles, but I prefer the 2-wheeled varieties.

I don't think I've seen an El Camino quite that old. I always joke that the English translation of "El Camino" is "Cowboy Cadillac"

JunieRose2005 said...

Some great shadow shots and a real fun day! A day like this would be welcome to all-especially you folks in the north!


Junie

MyMaracas said...

What a fun entry! I love old cars (I learned to drive in a 1951 Chrysler New Yorker), and these offer wonderful reflections, colors, and shadows.

Paula Scott said...

I love old pick up trucks-especially the Chevys! Although, this one is kind of 'young'! I love all the graceful lines you captured.

chubskulit said...

Very crisp shadows you got here Ralph, gorgeous!

indicaspecies said...

Good details and I like your shadow shots too.

BLOGitse said...

I wonder what would happen if men polish at home like they polish those cars... :)
Old cars have real charm...
Have a good week ahead!

Dianne said...

cool shadows
I love the purple-ish car, that's a beauty

HOOTIN' ANNI said...

Hi Ralph. First thanks for stopping by and visiting with me for Shadow Shot.

Secondly, I grew up with three older brothers, so I truly can say I learned to love the cars. And these classics you've shared are stupendous. Enjoyed my visit.

Serendipity said...

What fabulous shiny cars! Whenever I see a chevy I think of the song American Pie :-)

Joan said...

Oh yes, great finds.
I love the details on all the old cars too.

KaHolly said...

Very intriguing images were found this day among the shiny old cars so proudly displayed!

Julie (Legacy Crafter) said...

Interesting pictures, beautiful cars

Jeri ~ said...

Great shots! I love old cars too, Hubby & I went to an old car show today!!!

Miss Becky said...

wow, that was when cars were cars and bumpers were actually metal. you know, they were works of art. beautiful shadows and reflections Ralph!

Y. Ikeda said...

Fantastic photos of 60's American cars. I love them so much because they represent the strength and the beauty!
Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful day.