Monday, May 2, 2011

Ruby Tuesday - Giddyup, place (or show)

Ruby Tuesday brings us on a quest for ruby reds in any and perhaps, all places. It pays to have the digital device ready to deploy as needed.


A landmark along I-95 and the Long Wharf in New Haven, is the circular betting parlor known a Sports Haven, simulcasting live horse races from various horse racing tracks.You see the customers all walking in with their laptops to properly assess and handicap each race, horse and conditions from dry to muddy. There seems to be a science to it, depending on the bettor, the horse, track, etc.


I only played the ponies once at the old Waterford Park in West Virginia decades ago (obviously, I lost). The sight I remember is the many losing betting slips that carpeted the floor. I suppose that the actual winners here are few - see Mary's fun meme where all winners post rubies!

15 comments:

nonizamboni said...

Interesting choice for today! I hadn't seen off-track betting until the move to Chicago. Hmmmm
p.s. word verification: never

:O)

Felisol said...

Great building and fascinating sports for people with more time and money than I have.
There are but few winners in horse racing.
Have you read the crime novels by English Dick Frances?
They are almost free,(at least compared to betting), and so very exciting. The author once was a jockey himself and has a really inside knowledge about the theme.

Kim, USA said...

That building is huge. I like to watch horse sports but not to bet ^_^ Thanks for the visit I appreciate it!

Barn Charm

bj said...

O, I love this post, Ralph. It brings back some really fun memories. When I was 16, I made the trip from West Texas to San Francisco (on the train...all by myself...and feeling waaay grown) to stay with my aunt for a couple of weeks. They took me to a LOT of wonderful places and one was the horse races. I had so much fun that day. And, it's funny, but, I, too, remember all the losing tickets that were covering the entire floor. Isn't it funny, the things we remember....

Thanks for stopping by and now YOU'VE made ME hungry for more pop overs and, this time, honey butter. Yummy....
Love to your pretty Patti and hope she is feeling well.

Ms. Burrito said...

You won't miss that!

My Ruby Tuesday, would love it if you can visit.

Liz said...

Great shot.

Moms...Check Nyo

Lola said...

Lovely post!

Happy RT!

Lola:)

HOOTIN' ANNI said...

The only gambling I've done is LIFE...and I am constantly a winner.

Nice photo Ralph.

Here is my Tuesday Link:
Face in the Barroom Floor

I'd really like to have you stop by if you can. Have a wonderful day ahead.

DrillerAA09 said...

Interesting structure. Nicely captured. Happy RT.

Dianne said...

a giant OTB ;)
I used to wait for my uncle outside the OTB and I remember all the slips on the floor

Mel Cole said...

Nice building. Good capture by the way. Would love you to visit my Ruby Tuesday page here.

Gunsside said...

Great shot,interesting and different track for horse racing ;))

EG Wow said...

I don't like to bet because I always lose! But the building certainly is interesting!

chubskulit said...

It's worth the try Ralph. For me, I am nervous about betting so I probably not try at all.

Patti said...

Nice post! I don't bet, but I did bet on you, Ralph.

Did I win?