Saturday, May 21, 2011

Shadow Shot Sunday - Fruits of the vine


Shadow Shot Sunday by Tracy in sunny Brisbane, arrives again as this week's rain (five days) has abated. This is a good thing.


My longtime friend Mike (since 1969) visited today for an annual ritual, preparing our 5 gallon garden pots and planting summer treats of tomatoes and peppers.


At his home an hour from here, a large vegetable garden showcases his passion for organic gardening. Thus, his help allows for fabulous summer salads for us in two months, hopefully sooner...

The sun was most welcome today. The peat moss is used to shield the tender plants - when soaked with water, the moss can hold up to 40 X its weight with water. Thus, the plants tender roots remain cooler with the soaked mass of moss. 


The seedlings are potted alongside our garage, which for sun is great, the sun falls over the plants all day long, the exposure sending the nourishing UV rays onto the garden. Too much UV may be harmful for us - however, the tomatoes probably think otherwise

The prolific farmer has so many strawberries planted at his abode (used as ground cover), a few plants were uprooted and potted. Sweet berries are always a treat - how do we keep the birds away from our fruit? Perhaps a bird feeder will offer them a diversion... 




Today, the treats to be harvested include, beside strawberries, Basil, tomatoes (Beefsteak, Roma and Sweet 100s) and peppers (JalapeƱos, Cubanelles and Golden Summer). Fresh is always better!


Naturally, shadows were sought, sighted and shot, From the siding on the house to the tender leaves, the variety of changed lighting is all about the flora and grounds.


The usual summer salad of fresh tomatoes, basil and Mozzarella cheese awaits. Dressed lightly with olive oil and perhaps a bit of salt stays in my consciousness all year. Happily, it is soon to be :)
The flat is full of seedlings awaiting their planting. The side yard has no style with such things as last fall's dead leaves.


However devoid of beauty now, the harvest in July and August will offer a gastronomic artistry to our palette. Patience is a virtue as we await Summer's best...


See shadowy artistry from all over at the fun meme at Hey Harriet!


19 comments:

Quilt Works said...

Wonderful time when the veggies are planted in the garden anticipating a new crop!

I planted cucumbers yesterday. The tomatoes went in 3 weeks ago. I have been using pop-up greenhouse umbrellas to get myself a 3 week early start on the season. The work amazingly well. I noticed the first green tomato on one of the plants today. Can you imagine that in New England?

frayedattheedge said...

Never mind shadows - your post is making me hungry!!

Sylvia K said...

Such a lovely, sunny garden and the promise of wonderful veggies!! Yep, your post is making me hungry, too!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Ralph! Enjoy!

Sylvia

fredamans said...

Nice garden shadows!

Kay L. Davies said...

A wonderful project producing beautiful shadows in addition to soon-to-be salads, Ralph!
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Sarah said...

Everybody's at it! Well I have not got tomatoes but I have got basil! So nice when the sun shines!

Dimple said...

Oh, Ralph, you almost make me want to plant a garden! Almost...

Wonderful shadows, and a mouth-watering description of your future delights!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

There's something magical about getting a garden ready in the spring.

MY BLINGLESS SHADOW

A shadow’s an odd sort of thing;
It might have a nose or a wing,
A tail like a dog,
A bump like a log,
But one thing it has not is bling!


© 2010 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Shadows in Solitude

chubskulit said...

I agree with patience is a virtue. We cultivated a good size of vegetable garden this year. Not sure of it's outcome yet but I hope it will grow.

Am sure yours will have a lot of fruit in two months.


Shadow shots on a relaxing walk, have a great weekend!

Cassie said...

I adore this time of year! Fresh veggies from the garden. Yum yum. Looks like there are a bunch of us tilling the soil this weekend. Happy SSS!

Greyscale Territory said...

Eating fresh home-grown salad is such a treat! Love the idea of your ritual! And lots of delightful soft shadows around your photos!

And thank you ever so much for your kind thoughts on my blog! My arm has broken twice at the shoulder! It's the worst kind of break, so can't be plastered! Still exremely painful! Doctors are still deciding whether to plate or pin it! Meanwhile I just have a sling and heaps of pain killers!

EG Wow said...

Great shadows! I can hardly wait to plant some seedlings in my gardens. I need to wait a few more days. I don't trust the weather people quite yet. :)

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Oh Ralph...if only there were a mozzarella tree!! There is nothing like being able to gather a lovely salad for supper right outside of your door! Here's to lots of sunshine and a bumper crop!!

Dianne said...

I always wondered what peat moss was used for
best luck with your garden
it looks wonderful

bj said...

Hi, Ralph, I just came over to see your shadow shots and learned a little about gardening. I don't know why I've never thought of Peat Moss for the young plants. I am so not a gardener and I am dying to try some container gardening. Might just do it.
Great shadow shots and, boy, you are going to have some good salads come summertime. :)

nana_ang_poppaphil said...

Love the shadows, but have to say all that talk about Basil, Tomatoes, Mozzarella Cheese and Olive Oil has my mouth watering.
Be awhile before we have fresh Summer veges, we are waiting on our Winter veges at present.

Have a great week.

Jeanette said...

Ahhhh nothing better than a garden fresh tomato. I love them right off the vine. Just wash it and bite right in, maybe add a little salt. Of course, a bologna sandwitch with a garden fresh tomato is great too.
Love the little tomato shadow in the first picture.
Thanks for sharing!!

Paula Scott said...

It is very rewarding in so many ways to grow your own! Hope the bird diversion works!

Joan said...

I agree whole heartedly! I can't wait for my tomatoes.