Saturday, May 28, 2011

Shadow Shot Sunday - Monochromatic Memories



Shadow Shot Sunday, by Tracy in Brisbane, reappears and the subjects are many - in either the present or the past tense.


On other memes that I participate in, I often go back to old Black and White views. As the scanner has been most useful, monochrome seems to scan better than old and faded color prints from the decade of the 1960s. I am there.

I recently used the top view in a sepia edit for Mary's fun Sepia Scenes - I like it so much, it too reappears. I used the monochrome original scan here. The person, place, and time are nicely captured in this leafy piece. 


The person is my older sister Michele on the day of her first Communion. The place is the family apartment at 203-11 42nd Avenue in now tony Bayside, in the NY City borough of Queens. 


I estimate the time in May 1962. I have very fond (if fading) memories of our three bedroom flat. The trees and shade combine nicely with my older sister's genuine smile!




Below this is my journalist father who, in a bout of participatory journalism, actually flew in a fighter jet with a USAF pilot, and wrote about it. 


The year is 1960, the place is the Nellis Air Force near Las Vegas Nevada. The plane is a Republic F105, referred to as a Thud - hopefully in an affectionate way, and not characteristic of its landing...


This massive jet leaves a massive shadow, the fighter pilot and writer in their flight suits, leaving shadows on the tarmac after a hopefully not nauseous ride for the UPI correspondent. 


Past or present, a fine shadow is always a work of atmospheric artistry. See many more at the meme of Aussie artist Hey Harriet!


16 comments:

Cassie said...

OH I remember seeing the little Catholic girls in their fancy white dresses and tieras and being a bit jealous that I couldn't join in! Cute. Thud made me lol. Scary, but a very funny remark. The pic with your Dad and the USAirforce pilot is very appropriate for this weekend of remembrance. Thanks. Have a good Memorial Day weekend.

Sylvia K said...

What a perfect post for Memorial Weekend, Ralph! Love what they called the plane!! Perfect! I do hope you create some more lovely memories to celebrate the day! Have a wonderful weekend!

Sylvia

frayedattheedge said...

Quite a contrast between your two photos. The innocence of your sister, and the intimidation of the fighter plane.

Dimple said...

Nice shots, Ralph. Your sister looks very pretty in her communion finery, and your dad no-nonsense in his flight suit. Two worthy memories to preserve!

Kay L. Davies said...

Great shadow shots from the 60s, Ralph. I love your phrase "participatory journalism"! Your father must have had an interesting career as a UPI correspondent.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Paula Scott said...

Wow-I love both images! That wonderful dappled light on Michelle. And the photo of your dad and comrade-great tribute to Remembrance Day!

Greyscale Territory said...

O Ralph - Your sister looks so beautiful! A fantastic smile! And it sound as if your dad had a few extraordinary adventures as a journalist! Intriguing photo memories!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

As you know...we love these old pictures Ralph! Your sis looks like a sweetie...we're sure she had nothing but patience for her brother :) lol!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

The only thing that can capture a shadow is a camera!


I ALMOST LOST MY SHADOW

I almost lost my shadow,
I left it in the park;
I heard my mommy calling,
For it was getting dark;

She has no use for shadows,
She thinks they are quite grim,
And when she saw my shadow,
She thought it was a “him.”

I had to educate her
And tell her it was “she”—
And now my faithful shadow
Is welcome as can be!


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Shadows in the Barrio

nana_ang_poppaphil said...

Ralph these are wonderful shots, the first one of your sister is gorgeous. She looks so happy, and the shadows are lovely.

Crafty Green Poet said...

what a lovely photo of your sister, the shadows work beautifully in black and white

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello Ralph : )
I so enjoy seeing your older photographs ! .. Your sister looks so totally charming and genuinely happy and excited .. that picture reminded me of my little white gloves and hat for church when I was a kid : )
Ah .. your father was a brave man to climb into that cockpit ! .. he truly wanted to feel what these pilots felt while above the earth looking down.
Those shadows are sharp and defining in many ways.
Great to see these Ralph : )
Joy

A Wild Thing@Sweet Repose said...

I too remember the white gloves and the little hat that I always hated chasing in the wind, but my Baptist upbringing insisted...the styles of the day back then remind me that they were the good ol' days...if that's all I had to worry about today, I'd be a lucky girl(Tomboy)...however, I still am a lucky girl, I'm alive to breathe another day!

Have a wonderful, SAFE holiday Ralph!

Joan said...

Your sister looks so happy. Love that image.
And a tribute to Memorial Day! Great.

EG Wow said...

You do have wonderful memories, Ralph, and so many great shots to support them. Lucky you!

anemonen said...

Wow I like this. Great shot and I like to reed your stories. Thanks for sharing it.