Friday, June 24, 2011

Shadow Shot Sunday - Spectrum Shadows



Shot Sunday arrives courtesy of Tracy, down under in the beautiful land of Oz. We are in the warm summer season, so outdoor browsing is in order. Although my moniker is airhead (Patti thinks carhead might be more appropriate), viewing old cars it is.




The Father's Day car show was held at the impressive and nearby (15 minutes) Shelton History Center. A place of restored old structures and old and leafy trees. Obviously, a place where shadows might jump out at any and all photographers.






My subjects in shadow are of high class (1928 Rolls-Royce) vs lower (1957 Chevrolet Bel Air). Not a perfect comparison of cars, eras and price points. Yet, shadows appear and are equally cool on either...

The Chevy on top is a loving restoration, the color called Dusk Pearl in its day. A lovely hue, light and subtle, the shadows gracing its flanks. The Rolls is a bold blue, but the  boldest thing here is the classic RR radiator grille. Shadows fall in and around each vertical bar, reflections glow from the brilliant front bumper.




Smaller items on each offer shadowy style, too. The Rolls offers on top of that bold radiator shell the classic Flying Lady mascot, a.k.a The Spirit of Ecstasy. There are no works of art like this on today's cars, the stainless steel sculpture adds a stately and touch. 




The subtle styles of the 1920s don't shout at the viewer - those that can afford these motorcars preferred the understated and quiet elegant touch...










The 1950s American cars look bold, the details less quiet and really far away from understated. 



Chrome, gold anodized grille and a busy bumper full of different pieces take our eyes all over the place. I like both of these vehicles, each representing a different strata in society - the great equalizer of both are the shadows, which defy class, open to all... See an abundance of shadows at the great Hey Harriet!


22 comments:

EG Wow said...

Believe it or not, I have car show shadows this week too, Ralph!

Cassie said...

Neat shadows and the commentary accompanying them is terrific. I've come to really like looking at old cars too Ralph. Their lines are so much more interesting than the current crop on the road! Happy SSS to you. Patrick and I will be heading up Schweitzer Mountain today to enjoy their Summer Fest. WooHoo!!

Sylvia K said...

I do love the old cars and what terrific captures!! Wonderful, colorful shadow shots for the day! Hope you have a great weekend, Ralph!

Sylvia

bj said...

This is a really cool post, Ralph.
I love old cars and trucks..as a matter of fact, my Shadow Shot Sunday post has an old truck in it...but certainly NOT restored, such as these beauties...
My first car was a little blue and white 55 Bel Air Chevie..I loved that little thing and it was SUCH a lemon. :)))
Love and hugs to Patti...
bj

Gallery Juana said...

I am drooling over that dusk pearl chevy!

Old cars, whether they are restored beautifully like the ones in your photos or rusty and barely running, always get my head to turn for a second look.

Wonderful photos of these beauties and the mascot.

forgetmenot said...

Thanks for the nice comment on the heron. I love your shots of the antique cars ( it hurts to use the word "antique" when I remember that car from my youth). It is nice that they were all parked under shady shots--made for nice photos as well as a cooler day for you. Mickie :)

forgetmenot said...

Back again-you commented on the bird at the birdfeeder and the shadow. I had just posted a heron picture right before that. I have too many birds "flying" around my post!! Mickie

Arija said...

The mudguards of the Rolls throw such sharp shadows and you ust have to love those bug bug eyes!
I like the subtle colour of the Chevvy, it tones down all that glitz in front.

Martha Z said...

Vintage cars, meticulously detailed, perfect subjects for the photographer.

Dimple said...

Well, I like the shadows all around, but my favorite car is the Chevy. I think the color is wonderful!

Beverley Baird said...

What gorgeous vintage cars! Great shadows as well!
have a wonderful weekend!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Boy that Chevy is a beauty Ralph! I think the Summer Kitchen Girls should be riding around in that....just imagine how much fun that would be!!

nana_ang_poppaphil said...

Very cool shadow shots Ralph,I love old car shots and these are wonderful.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello Ralph and these are magnificent cars that capture shadows .. I love seeing how truly gorgeous they are kept so we can appreciate such different styles through out the years .. it is amazing what modes of transportation we have driven in, isn't it ?
I can almost hear your slow careful voice in the commentary ;-)
wink wink
Joy

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

Love the color on that first/last car! Nice SSs :) Happy Sunday Ralph!

sarayutouched said...

probably carhead would be more appropriate...lol!! great shots...looks like some great cars.

Joan said...

We went to the Graffiti Days in Modesto CA often. It's always fun to look at great old cars. :)

Richie's 2ts Inspires said...

Tjihi... I would prefer "carhead" bro! Sounds so lady like, right?

Wow... I would love to have sweet pinky one. Perfect for my taste.

Absolutely, great shots! Looks like you & Patti had a great day viewing & drooling the vintage ones.

TY for droppin by and Cheers for the great w/end & blessed upcoming week.

Happy SSS too...

Paula Scott said...

Really sweet shots-those old cars have so much grace to their lines and design. What a great way to spend Father's Day!

chubskulit said...

That is a beauty. Hubby and I just took some pictures of the old car that we saw on the road yesterday. Thanks a lot for the visit Ralph, hope all is well.

Ms. Becky said...

whoa, that Chevy is one marvel of a car. the blue Rolls is a great color and I love the headlights, but I don't know. don't think I've ever seen that Dusk Pearl color. the last photo is my fave. thanks for sharing your shadows Ralph. have a great week.

Patti said...

I like that shadows are "the great equalizer"

Mother Nature doesn't care if we are rich or poor