Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Sepia Scenes - The start of something big



Sepia Scenes takes me back a few decades, to a place of a modest beginning, that being the birthplace of the mighty Mississippi River. This is Lake Itasca state park in north-central Minnesota. 


The powerful currents move these waters from here to the Gulf of Mexico in Louisiana. Over 2300 miles/3700 kM long, the beginnings are humble, and crossing the mighty waterway by foot can only happen at the source. I was on my feet in those days and also crossed. 


I edited this in sepia, as it was taken on a day of heat, humidity and glare. The edit adds an interesting tone to the subjects crossing the river one rock at a time. See sepia in many forms at Mary's fun monochrome meme!


5 comments:

ruthi said...

Great photo and it was nice of you to include brief history of the place. It's awesome from an immigrant like me to know bits and pieces of American geography.

Gerald (Hyde DP) said...

love the great reflection here

Linda Makiej said...

what a beautiful sepia shot! :)

Patti said...

Nice photo for sepia, my dear.

Looks like a lazy summer day.

Annie said...

Ooh, Ralph. I LIKE. This is a little outside of your usual presentation. Wonderful.