Friday, July 1, 2011

Shadow Shot Sunday - 25 in a flash


Shadow Shot Sunday arrives courtesy of Tracy from Brisbane. Today, we showcase a celebration last Sunday, unexpected, unplanned and unusual. An event including the lovely Patti and myself that was stunning in its simplicity on a beautiful day.
It begins for the baptism of Noah, the first child of my boss Marc and his lovely wife Teesha, a lovely couple and babe. The event was held at the beautiful set-in-stone, friendly and very accommodating St. James Church in Stratford Connecticut. This church, being in an urban setting, has parishioners of all ethnicities and races, a true mosaic of worshipers. The service was wonderful, also including a first Communion, too. But more was in store…

I like to arrive early for any event, verifying wheelchair access and seating inside. So seated at the back of the church, we were approached by the friendly Rev. Thomas F. Lynch. He asked about my issue – I said it is MD, and (pointing to Patti) the cancer treatments she is receiving. He saw Patti, left hand sans rings, and asked if we were friends. I said that actually we are married and had our 25th anniversary recently. Did we celebrate?

Not yet, but maybe after the treatments are done. He said to each of us a thoughtful prayer of blessing to each of us. Then he asked us if we had renewed our vows? See me after the baptism about this renewal. 

The baptism ceremony was held after the reading of the Gospel and was lovely. There was later a parade around of the new young Communicants, all dressed in white. At the end of the service, Father Tom said that we had a couple today with challenges in their lives (MD and cancer) who have had their 25th anniversary and would like to renew their vows. Patti looked at each other, and we ambled to the front of the congregation.

I don’t remember the exact words of Father Tom, although he no doubt has officiated over many a wedding and knows the right words. Beaming as we were, we repeated to each other the vows. And so prompted, we sealed the vows with a kiss. The tall and elegant Patti and the shorter me went back to our seats amid a thunderous applause. This renewal was very life affirming, and there is no one else I’d like to meet life’s challenges with.

There was many a camera in attendance, and the pictures are starting to be sent to us. These are the scenes we have now, and the shadows (and reflection in the marble floor) are there. I see celebrations and shadows so often go hand in hand! 

24 comments:

Linda said...

Ah-ha! So THIS is what Patti was alluding to on her blog! What a truly wonderful thing and such a blessing for the both of you!

You two are very blessed to have each other as I can't think of a better couple to face and tackle all that life can throw at them as I know that together - through both good and bad - you'll have each other and that's all that matters!

Congratulations on "marrying" your love all over again!

sarayutouched said...

truly a beautiful moment! so glad it was captured for you!! what beautiful memories!!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

In that last photo, Ralph, you appear to be looking at Patti with absolute adoration. :-)


SHADOW, BE TRUE

My shadow has come out to play.
Oh, shadow, please don’t run away!
Stay here by my side,
Pretend you’re my bride—
Be true to me now and alway!


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Shadows here and here

Sylvia K said...

Oh, Ralph, how wonderful that you and Patti were able to do this!! What a great day for your both. Hope you have a beautiful weekend, you are both in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for sharing!

Sylvia

Cassie said...

WHat a cool story to go with these ShadowShots Ralph! Again, congrats on 25 years with the lovely Patti. I'm sure she would pick no one other than you for these past 25 years too. Happy SSS & weekend.

Ms. Becky said...

oh you've touched my heart with this post Ralph. it sings. thanks.

Kay L. Davies said...

What a wonderful story, Ralph. I have tears in my eyes. Congratulations to you and Patti, not only for the 25 years, but also for having such a loving friend in your church. I know you love one another, and are also loved by others. A good life is defined by love, despite any and all trials.

frayedattheedge said...

Hi Ralph and Patti - what a wonderful uplifting tale! I wish you both the very best ...... Malcolm and I will be in good company when we celebrate our Silver Wedding next month!

bj said...

My heart is just bursting with pride at you and your beautiful Patti. You are such a handsome man and she so pretty...and both of you are two of the strongest people I've ever known.
Yep, Ralph and Patti....ya'll are my heros.

Dianne said...

you two are so beautiful
what a wonderful ceremony

Catherine said...

what a wonderful special occasion for all concerned....

A Wild Thing@Sweet Repose said...

This show of love and commitment brought a tear to my eye, be blessed with long life and much love...this is a portrait of true human nature, we could all take a lesson...be well Ralph and Patty!!!

Paula Scott said...

Ralph, tears of joy came to my eyes at this incredible gesture by this priest! Ours is like him too-very pastoral. And, how wonderful to have that gift of renewing your vows. Certainly will help to give you both the added strength needed to face life's challenges together.

Chubby N Chieque said...

Wooooooo waaaaaahhhh... heart jumping of joy and tears run on my checks reading the best moment of life.

I can see the real love in your eyes & in Patti's smile.

Hugs to both & enjoy life to the full.

GB,
/chie

Joan said...

It was so fun to read this. Beautiful.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Ralph you and Patti make an amazing couple and such an impromptu celebration of your marriage was beautiful : ) Congratulations albeit a little late. My husband and I deal with extreme health issues too and I understand what that mutual support means to each of us .. our partners are our life lines to the earth aren't they ? We will be celebrating 35 years of marriage next April .. an astonishing event for a military marriage alone .. but add the other issues and it is also amazing : )
I so enjoyed seeing these pictures of you and Patti .. this was wonderful and I appreciated your kind words about Canada .. you are a sweetie !
Joy : )

Gallery Juana said...

Wow ... very warm and sweet blog post. I teared up on this one:)

Happy Anniversary to you both! It really makes a difference in life to know one has a partner for all the good times and to help one get through the tough times.

Dimple said...

What a lovely story! Brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing, it was a blessing!

Kramer said...

I love that story.

chubskulit said...

What a precious milestones you and Patti has celebrated. Sorry for my late visit. Congratulations and may God shower you guys with more and more long years of being together, hearts full of love always.

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Congratulations Ralph and Patty.
Wonderful story and photos for memories of this great day. You are amazing couple and so much strong.
I wish you many, many more anniversaries.
You both will always be in my thoughts and prayers.

Joelaindien said...

Hello ! very nice blog !

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

How very sweet! May you have another very happy 25 years!!

Robin said...

How wonderfully romantic and life-affirming, and a sign of many more happy days to come I'm sure.

Congratulations to you and Patti on the first 25 years and here's to the next 25 as well!

-----------------------------------
My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!