Saturday, July 16, 2011

Shadow Shot Sunday - Monochrome back then





Shadow Shot Sunday is a fun meme hosted by photo artist Tracy Down Under in Brisbane.


Shadows were not on the mind of photographers in those days, and surely not on that of Grandpa Ralph I (the sage of Steubenville). The aim of the photo hunter was to capture the person in the moment.


When Grandpa passed away in 1981, I was awarded the Scotch carton that carried all the photos that could be captured. Not stored in optimal conditions. However, the B&W prints seem easy to fix as long as they aren't too faded.

Here it my Aunt Terry (Theresa), at a young age in the late 1940s. The flash bulbs of the day added brilliant illumination to everything in the room. So, shadows are all over...


I am sure that this was taken by a professional. Grandpa had a then state of the art, East German Exa SLR camera, with a mechanical timer. I don't think he used a tripod, though, preferring to hire a pro for a portrait.


This, like the first shot, was taken at their home at 1645 Oregon Avenue in Steubenville, my guess in the late 1950s. He was a stickler for details, and here is the 'RV' monogramed on the handkerchief in the jacket pocket. He had his initials on his cufflinks, too. This is a definitive look at Agnes and Ralph, shadows included... 

Speaking of initials, how about his 1959 State of Ohio issued license plates? 


It is 1959, and the grandparents visited the family at our home in St. Paul Minnesota. The car was a 1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer with the 'Red Ram' hemi V-8, and I remember the tri-tone paint on it - white, plum and black. Outstanding style that exists in memories...


The shadow of big sister Michele is the star of this frame, along with those of the Dodge's fin. The sundress, smile and blonde hair add a summer flair to the frame.


Shadows transcend eras, see lots at Hey Harriet!

22 comments:

frayedattheedge said...

What wonderful family memories!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

When you inherited the box of photos, you ended up with incomparable treasures!


TALKING SHADOWS?

Imagine a shadow could talk
In whisper or rumble or squawk;
Just what would it say
To make you go, “Hey!
You’re just a chip off the old block!”?


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Shadows abound here and here

Patti said...

Love the old photos as always!

Sylvia K said...

What a fun look back! And such delightful old photos! There are lots of wonderful shadows aren't there? I love it!! Hope your weekend is off to a good start, Ralph!

Sylvia

Paula Scott said...

I love these shadows from the past! It also makes me realize that the flash bulbs of the day back then didn't wash the subjects out as much as the built in flashes do today. Go figure. You would think today's technology would do a better job of conquering that!

Linda Makiej said...

love these shadow shots!! The last one is my fave!! It could have been me!!

sarayutouched said...

what great photos/memories...thanks for sharing the shadows.

nana_ang_poppaphil said...

What a fantastic combination Ralph, gorgeous black & white shots of family history together with some awesome shadows.

Gemma Wiseman said...

Such a very beautiful collection of memories! Photos like this record so much about the styles and ideas of the times!

Kay L. Davies said...

I love the photos, Ralph. I remember when cars like that were considered SO beautiful and elegant. Imagine having personalized plates in '59, wow! I love the shadow of the car's fin and even a shadow cast by that whatever-it-is on the bumper. Cars don't even have real bumpers any more. Sigh.
The shadows in the first snapshot are wonderful. I'm about the same age as your Aunt Terry, so everything looks familiar to me, her dress, your grandmother's clothes, the curtains.
Thanks for sharing these memories. Makes me want to start looking for shadows in old B&Ws from my parents and grandparents.

—Kay, Alberta, Canada

PS—My verification word here is "cringons" and my husband says, "Oh, yes, aliens who make you cringe." He's very punny.

Andrea said...

Hi I am new here, you inspired me to dig on old cartons to search for those old B&W long ago photos. Yes they should be relived and saved now in digital files for more future members of the family. Thanks.

MyMaracas said...

It's wonderful to have boxes of memories like that. I wonder, with all of our photos stored in computers these days, if that isn't becoming a lost treasure.

Beverley Baird said...

What wonderful meamories these provide! Great shadows - even back then!
have a wonderful weekend!

Jeanette said...

I love looking at old family photos. Seeing the different styles of clothes and hair, old cars and house decorations. Also, seeing how younger family members resemble some of the older ones. I also enjoy sharing stories about the photos with my kids.
Your photos are great! Lots of smiles and shadows too!

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

What a lovely memories!!!
I enjoy looking at old photos. They are real treasure.
Your post is beautiful and photos, too.

Regards and I wish you all the best Ralph

Crafty Green Poet said...

what a lovely photo of your Aunt Terry!

Hey Harriet said...

These are all lovely photos Ralph! I just love the softness in the last one with your big sis! Funny to think of her as your big sister as she looks so small there. Gosh you must have been a very little lad at the time :)

HOOTIN' ANNI said...

Ralph....first of all I was ecstatic to see that you paid me a visit. Thanks for dropping by. And secondly, all the photos from times ago are a thrill to view, by you and your blogging friends. I really enjoyed it. Ohhhhhhhhhh, to live back in the simpler days of yore. Love her smile...love the monogram 'kerchief and all the detailing of your post.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Ralph .. I really enjoy your B&W photos .. I have none from my childhood and seeing yours is a special moment for me : )
Keep them coming please ?
Joy : )
PS .. Ah yes .. a stickler for details. You have to love that in these photos!

Ms. Becky said...

Hi Ralph - you have shared some gems today. really. I love the smiles on the faces of Agnes and Ralph. And Aunt Terry. these are priceless.
and yes, I must agree with you, big sister Michele IS the star of the frame in the last photo. I love everything about that one. her shadow is just the best. and the AAA sticker on the trunk - I belong to that org. but they no longer mail out stickers like THAT! thanks for sharing Ralph, it's been a true pleasure. I hope you have a fun week ahead, and stay cool. it's a hot one out there.

chubskulit said...

Wow these are precious old photos, these would a treasure of generations to generations. Hey, you look like your Pap.

flaƟ bellek said...

Well, it is fantastic combination Ralph, gorgeous black and white shots of family history together with some awesome shadows.