Saturday, August 20, 2011

Shadow Shot Sunday - Bayside babes and belles


Tracy from Brisbane engages us by hosting the fun Shadow Shot Sunday. We look for the shadowy things, and since I have been following the fun, I see the changed lighting in pictures that have been looked at endlessly…

These views have been seen before, the time is April 1957 (the date stamp on each picture), the place being our first apartment at 204-07 35th Avenue in Bayside, Queens, New York City. 



The film was, I believe, was Kodak Tri-X, and the views of this medium is as always, classic.



The players in the sequences are myself (aged almost two), Michele (three), Aunt Terry (fifteen) and Grandma Agnes (ageless, at her request :). 


For he grownups, fashion was the order of the day, judging by the smartly styled suits they were wearing. 

Michele and I were dressed appropriately nice for our first trip into the City (Manhattan). I obviously cannot remember the visit, but the many and very tall buildings must have left quite an impression to the two and three year olds...I don't know if Michele is still getting dressed - a mystery...


The springtime sun allows for noticeable, if subtle shadows. The eaves of the front door and light fixture are obvious.

Subtler are the shadows the hat shadow and hair that falls over Terry’s face. Harder to see, but real, are the young faces turned in such a way that shadows occur our cheeks.

The look of the day is so well shown on the ladies – although, sitting down in those slender outfits may have proven a challenge…

22 comments:

A Wild Thing@Sweet Repose said...

Boy you brought back a flood of memories, the hats and gloves we used to wear to church...our Sunday best...great shots and hope you have the best summery weekend, say hi to Patty!

sarayutouched said...

life in simplier times...great memories for you...great shadow hints for us. happy sss ralph.

Patti said...

Cute family photos.

Memories of the '50s...now we're in our 50s! woo hoo!!

Ms. Becky said...

I love it when you post your vintage photos, it's always a pleasant trip down memory lane for the rest of us too. it looks like an anchor insigne on your jacket, and the expressions on the faces are priceless. great shadow shots Ralph. happy SSS to you.

frayedattheedge said...

I can remember my Mum wearing hats and gloves when I was little - sometimes I think it would be good to go back to that gentler age!!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Ralph I some how hear your voice in my head describing these pictures (I know .. I have never heard your voice but there seems to be something about how you type your words with such careful moderation and style?) I really enjoy seeing pictures of the 50's and 60's .. they seem so innocent back then.
Joy : )

Sylvia K said...

Oh, yes! Simpler times, wonderful memories and such delightful captures!! I do seem to remember the difficulties involved in sitting while wearing those tight skirts!! I was in my 20s in the 50s!! Fun post and great shots for the day, Ralph! Hope your weekend is going well!

Sylvia

Gemma Wiseman said...

O such engaging photos! I remember wearing one of those "saucer" hats as we called them! They were usually white!

chubskulit said...

I love those hats! It looks so elegant on them. Have a nice weekend.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

You have quite a collection of old family photos, Ralph. They are always fascinating to look at!

IF I HAD A SHADOW

If I had a shadow as big as the sky,
I never would fear, and I’ll tell you why:

My shadow would save me from dragons and things
That fly in the night with terrible wings;

My shadow would keep me away from the beast
That sniffs in the west and sniffs in the east

Hungry for children who play all alone,
Hoping to feast upon blood, upon bone;

My shadow would be my protector and knight
To keep fear at bay, to banish all fright.

I’m so glad my shadow is always nearby,
Though it’s not nearly as big as the sky!


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Shadows in hoofprints and stone

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

OH Ralph....do we EVER love these pictures :) you have put a smile on our faces! What a fashionable family....gma Agnus has it going on (you don't look too bad yourself Ralph!!)
Enjoy your weekend!

Dianne said...

I love the hats!!
and the sweet little anchor on your jacket

Sam said...

Oh these are gorgeous! So sweet! It doesn't seem so long ago, yet the fashions today couldn't be more different. I am sorry we don't dress so formally these days. I think it was better back then that we took such care with our clothes.

Paula Scott said...

Ah! Those were the days when people knew how to dress. I think as a society, we have lost much of our sense of self esteem.

Great photos of you as a tyke!

Tina said...

Cute :)

Mousy Brown said...

Love those shadows and those outfits! I am having a great time discovering all the links on SSS :D

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

Oh...what wonderful photos! You two kids are adorable!! I love the much more proper style of dress from those days!

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

What a beautiful memories!
Great photos from an old analog camera.

Regards and best wishes for you Ralph

EG Wow said...

People sure spent a lot more time looking good than they do now! I DO think the hats back then were hilarious, especially the hat your aunt was wearing. :))

forgetmenot said...

Great photos--such fun to relive the past through pics. Have a nice week. Mickie :)

bj said...

These olden photos bring back so many memories.
I graduated from high school in '56 and headed for the big city of Dallas.We wore tight, slim skirts and, if dressing up, always a hat.:)
I have some great memories of that time...think I'll bring them "out of storage" and write a little about them. My blog is mostly for my grands and great-grands someday..they need to know the fun times I had that summer in Dallas, don;t ya think? lol

Cassie said...

I L-O-V-E these "ancient" shots. You were a cute little fellow for sure. I was enjoying old photos while in PA with mom the past 2 weeks. Once I get rejuvinated at home I'll scan a few...I'm not as good at that stuff as you are. Have a great week.