Saturday, September 17, 2011

Shadow Shot Sunday - Shadowy Seller


Shadow Shot Sunday arrives courtesy of host Tracy down under in almost Spring in sunny Brisbane.

As we are aiming toward Autumn up here, the sun is still strong although cool weather is not far away, alas…

Yet, shadows arise from the current exposure of the southern sky. A shadowy photo revue was sought, and what would it be was what I looked for. Perhaps art.

Or, more likely, commerce.




I had the family point-and-shoot, and was traversing Route 34 in Derby and from the road, I saw shadows form a well known (in the US that is :), major big-box retailer.

This is of course the retail home improvement chain Lowes. I like perusing the aisles of this 153000 sq ft (14215 m²) behemoth. 



I don’t know why, but I have always liked shopping here way better than Home Depot…



This large box sits at a south-southwest exposure, and as our summer sun is now retreating in this direction, long shadows are emerging. 


And the signage on the fa├žade allows for an almost 3-D effect on the identifying areas - over the main entrance, the lumber pickup and garden center.


Serious gardeners may shun the big-box, but the suburban gardeners like us happily purchase bags of mulch and top soil only five minutes from home… 



An unobtrusive drive around the car park/parking lot let this clandestine shadow photo hunter seek more of same.

The tall fence sits on the perimeter of the aforementioned garden area, keeping the pallets of bagged manure and such off the customer’s vehicles (including those of shadow seekers).

The fence allows for a shadow that is expansive yet with the chain link leaving a fine shadowy mesh below. 
 


The final item here is the pedestrian look at the delivery forklift attached to the big delivery truck. In fact, this loaded truck passed by our house on Tuesday (I was tempted to say ‘lumbering by’, but thought the better of it). 

There is nothing particularly stylish in these views, but as per usual, the shadows are the stars…

See more and more of the shadowy world at the always Hey Harriet!

24 comments:

Ms. Becky said...

we can find shadows just about anywhere, as long as we keep an eye out for them, and you've done so here. Lowe's is replacing my garage door next week - I too prefer them to the other two big-box stores. these are fun shadows! happy weekend to you Ralph.

Sylvia K said...

What great shadow shots for the day, Ralph!! I, too, prefer Lowe's to Home Depot! Hope all is well and that you have a lovely weekend!

Sylvia

frayedattheedge said...

We have similar places here - I have spent many an evening looking at plumbing supplies when we were refitting bathrooms/kitchens in the various houses we have lived in over the years!

Catherine said...

I love shadow writing - great shots!

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Very good photos.

Regards and best wishes for you Ralph

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

We visit Lowes more than the grocery store some days :) Enjoy your weekend Ralph!

Patti said...

Fun shadow post, my dear. I also prefer Lowe's to the other place!

bj said...

Mr. Sweet loves Home Depot..I love Lowes..we argue over where we are going to get something...:)
Good shadow shots..

Kay L. Davies said...

What a hugely successful shadow hunt, Ralph. And "lumbering by" is great. You should have said it!
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

chubskulit said...

Yesterday was a cold day for us here. Nice shadow captures Ralph. Have a nice weekend.

Jeanne said...

Shadows are amazing in your photos. We just moved away from a Lowe's that was just around the corner from us. Now it's a six mile drive to catch the shadows.

Paula Scott said...

A bountiful harvest of shadows today!!

Jeanette said...

Wonderful group of shadow shots. Looks like Lowes is a great place to find shadows. I especially like the ones on the "Indoor Lumber Yard".
Lowes has sure helped me build or remodel things many times. I agree with you, Lowes is waayyy better than Home Depot.

MyMaracas said...

"Lumbering by" ... heaven help me, I do love a pun.

Well-spotted shadows at one of my favorite stores!

Beverley Baird said...

I'm always amazed at how shadows are lurking in most places - you just have to be aware.
Great shadows for this week! We have Lowe's 40 min. away, Home depot 20 min. away - so we tend to go there.

Cassie said...

So Ralphie, when did you become employed by Lowe's?! hehe. Great ShadowShots. Makes me wish we had a Lowe's a bit closer than 70+ miles away. Have a good rest of the week!

Gemma Wiseman said...

An interesting range of shadow shapes! Even though I don't know these stores at all, they certainly cast some creative shadows! Great post!

Sarah said...

Great shadow shots Ralph, and again an interesting tour around another bit of your local area. I love browsing in diy stores too-not when I actually need something but more for the mysterious quality of a lot of the goods and the way things can have other uses in teaching and art. I also like the smell of the wood!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Dear Ralph
Believe it or not, Lowes has invaded Canada and we actually have one here ! In fact I have bought a few plants and we had our utility room floor done by them. So I am not a plant snob by any means : ) Your shadows do POP out for a 3 D affect and I did giggle over the lumbering by comment wink!
Joy

Sam said...

Great minds think alike! We've both got shadowy signage this week! I really like it when you show us around a part of your environment.I don't think we have Lowe's out here in Oz - but we have the same sort of huge factory style warehouse shopping experiences available under different names. I always sort of dread going to them but end up having quite a good time once I'm there!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Lowes loves you, Ralph, for taking these photos! :-)


MY SHADOWY FRIEND

My shadow and I are very best friends;
We walk hand in hand, though the sidewalk ends.

No matter the time of day or of night,
My shadow and I will always stick tight.

We don’t even think of drifting apart,
For shadow and I are one soul and one heart.

To have such a friend is heaven, you see,
For I love my shadow, and shadow loves me.


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Shady Lady Aster

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

Great shots Ralph! They remind me of all the fall yard projects on my "to do" list :)

Genie said...

Good old Lowe’s comes through every time for us...even when we are only looking for shadows. You really hit the jackpot with this visit to the store. Great job. genie

sarayutouched said...

it is definitely all about the shadows ralph. no matter what form they come in!!!