Monday, October 3, 2011

Ruby Tuesday - Before and After



Ruby Tuesday returns, and our quest begins for any/all items in red.


This is the before and after of yesterday's dinner, and that was chili, the ubiquitous American meat and bean stew. The classic Texas chili is made of beef and hot peppers. However, mom modified it, including celery, and onions.


Our family was of seven children, so one-pot meals, like chili, were the norm. 

Meals were made to taste good (and were) while feeding all, but she would not make anything else special for any one who chose to not eat the Entrée du Jour...



The before is on top. When I make it, I like to sauté the onions, celery, ruby bell pepper and red jalapeños prior to adding the meat. Today it was ground beef, but (please don't tell the traditionalists :) I have also used chicken, turkey and black beans...

The rubies show up well in either form...

Our kitchen has been modified for the wheelchair with lowered and roll-under counters. However, that is not the best for picture taking - Allegra kindly took these shots from a standing position - the view above makes it easier to spot said rubies.

See more and more red at Mary's fun meme


9 comments:

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

oh my goodness Ralph....doesn't that look delicious! let's see, if we leave now, we might make it for supper tonight!
Guess we'll have to make it on our own ~ I think we really will!!
Enjoy!

Sherrybasherry said...

that looks really yummy! :)

you are right about my RT entry, sandwiches and lenses do not interact well hahaha

toby said...

Agreed - you're making my mouth water! Would you share your recipe?

Robin said...

Yum, I love chili! It's still not cold enough for it here, but once it is...

-----------------------------------
My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

Lola said...

My, that does look SO delicious!

Thanks for stopping by,

Best wishes,

Lola:)

nonizamboni said...

Mmmm...my compliments to the chef and photographer. I found it interesting you use celery too. I never had until I moved to MN and that's a staple in chili. Perfect choice for today.
p.s. I agree, the big 3-0 was a bit horrifying and now, 30 yrs. later, I just can't remember where all those years went :O)

chubskulit said...

Holy! That looks tasty Ralph hehehe, I might just do that since I have fresh produce here from my garden hehehe.

Kim, USA said...

Oh my that is really good. I love chili but not too hot ^_^

Ruby Tuesday

Emille said...

This chili looks terrific! I make a chili without the beans, but with beef and sausage, red and green bell peppers:)