Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Sepia Scenes - 1939 Exhibition


An old monochrome black-white picture is a fine glimpse into the past. A sepia edit often adds even more character. Mary's Sepia Scenes is a fine meme for monochrome memories.


This is my father at the New York World's Fair, I guess in the summer of 1939, which would make him almost 12 years old. The sign says this looks to be the Futurama exhibit, sponsored by General Motors. There seems to be long line to enter. 


The fantastic imaginary future was on people's minds in the USA, and at the fair, probably no one was thinking of the terrible war in Europe to begin in Early 1940. However a fair is a place to relax and perhaps escape reality (for a while, at least). Which my father and parents no doubt did...


2 comments:

Patti said...

Great find in the archives, Ralphie! I don't think I've seen this photo before.

It works really well in sepia.

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Very nice old photo.

Regards and best wishes