Saturday, October 15, 2011

Shadow Shot Sunday - Mandatory Chrome





Shadow Shot Sunday arrives courtesy of Tracy, down under in Brisbane

Up north the autumnal skies are blue, the ambient temperature a warm 82°(28°C), the sun in the South with its long rays – perfect for shadows. 


And what better subject than cars, the older the better. It sounds like a broken record, but I am enamored in old vehicles, the American cars so overstyled, almost like abstract art.

Wildly sculpted sheet metal, flowing all over and accented by chrome. And the brightwork in not applied merely on the small details, but draped all over.


The vehicle on top is a 1932 LaSalle, (seen earlier) a companion brand to the more expensive Cadillac. This cost $2395 in its depression year of sale, an astronomical price in those tough times. The chrome is more gingerly applied to highlight the heron ornament on the radiator and the lights.

By 1954, this Chevrolet had a brilliance on the grille and bumper. The shiny chrome offers no challenge to reflecting the photographer and Patti traversing the grounds under the cars…





The chrome covering this 1963 Impala wheel offers a neat styling touch. Of course, the shiny metal offers a sort of fisheye view of the shape and shadow of the vehicle 1957 Chevrolet resplendent in its sweeping fins and Dusk Pearl paint parked next door. The convex shape allows the reflection within to almost float.


As early as age 4 (1959), American cars looked different every year, the changing details that drew me in to admire the details at a young age, which continues to this day. Patti joined me in this quest, visiting an old car show at the technical high school about 1000 feet from our home

Granted, cars of that day had more style but less of everything else, especially safety and quality. Once you have a family, give me the things of today that matter, like lots of air bags, ABS and dual air. However, today’s cars are more functional and not rolling the rolling sculptures of the past.


There were also stylish trucks exhibited there too. I was drawn to a 1964 Mack with six massive chrome wheels and lots of shine to catch one’s eye. On the hood here many shadows around and under the bulldog and trim.

Given my height challenges, Patti captured the traditional chrome Mack bulldog ornament - see her (in yellow) in the reflection? The canine stands tall, proud and reflective under a blue sky.


Old cars are interesting as art, and maybe the thinking of their era. Function ought to count for far more of why we choose a vehicle. But the days of fin and chrome seem to command our attention and emotions a bit more


See shadows from all over at the always fun Hey Harriet!

24 comments:

Sylvia K said...

What wonderful old cars, Ralph!! And they did bring back some great memories! You did get some terrific shadow shots for the day! And it looks as though you had a great day!! Enjoy your weekend -- hope you have some good weather!

Sylvia

frayedattheedge said...

I love when you post photos of these magnificent cars, as we just don't have cars like that over here!

HOOTIN' ANNI said...

Well...I must confess, I grew up the youngest girl with three older brothers who were ALL 'into cars'...so, this was a treat of a lifetime ago for me. I remember all your cars. Yep, I'm that generation.


THE RAVEN-and its shadow

Cassie said...

I do believe you and my hubby were seperated at birth! (Except he's much older than you are!!) Those old cars are quite lovely. My mom has a Whippet...I think it's from the 1920's. It sits in a barn...no shiney chrome there. Too bad. Happy SSS.

sarayutouched said...

love that chrome bulldog...standing guard, proudly, on it's car!! great shots...love patti's addition of yellow!!

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, so fabulous, Ralph. I love old cars, too, but I agree about the safety features. They were sorely lacking. When I was little, we would stand up on the back seat and were only told to sit down if we were blocking the rear view mirror. The only safe things about the old beauties would have been their big metal bumpers. I still yearn for a '56 Chevy but if I were offered any car I could possibly want, I'd go for a Volvo or something equally safe.
Sigh.

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

Patti said...

The days of fin and chrome?

Are they anything like the days of wine and roses?

Sounds so romantic, my dear!

Sarah said...

Great cars! The chrome is so beautifully shiny and I love the bulldog decoration.

Gemma Wiseman said...

A fascinating post! Adore the art of old cars! Always intriguing! But agree about practicalities and safety! Old cars were a means of parading style and apparent luxury comfort!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I can tell that both you and Patti had a great time ogling these shiny vehicles!

SHADOW, SHADOW
(With apologies to William Blake)

Shadow, shadow lurking dark
In a corner of the park,
What immortal eye can see
Your transcendent symmetry?


© 2010 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Shadowy Little Pool

Sam said...

Wow! They really were something, weren't they? So much care and detailing - I love it! It makes me a bit whistful for times gone by looking at old cars. They are so plain these days. I wonder if we'll ever go back to more ornamentation? The only draw back I think for these beauties (for me anyway) is that I think they might be a bit tricky to reverse park in a busy urban street. But I think the glamour of driving one would make up for that! Lovely shots!

LV said...

A great vintage, classic car show.

Elaine said...

Love the old cars and what a great subject for shadow shot..I like seeing the reflection in the chrome

chubskulit said...

I love the reflection of the car on the tire at the third shot!

nana_ang_poppaphil said...

These cars are just fantastic, and the shadows are awesome.

Catherine said...

love the reflections in those hub caps especially - well captured...

Jeanette said...

You describe those cars quite well and it seems you rather enjoyed seeing and telling us about them. The older cars are quite amazing, especially when you can find ones like in your photos that have been maintained or restored to their original state. The reflections in the chrome is amazing. Nice capture and very enjoyable post!!

BLOGitse said...

When I was young we had metal green Dodge. I remember calling it a ship because it was so huge. :)
We have many old American cars cruising in the city during the summer months.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Dear Ralph .. I have really enjoyed seeing this post on vintage cars so much ! I used to work for a small family owned mail order business that dealt with die cast metal model vehicles .. mailed all over the world .. I once knew a lot about the different types of cars (memory fading now, it has been a while) but every time we see one on the road husband and I both remark on it : ) I think I saw a tiny bit of Pattie in the reflection !
Joy

Kelly said...

I really like your tour of the car show today! I think old cars are really neat, too. Kinda funny, though, that cars I remember riding around in are now considered "vintage"!

Kelly said...

Oh...and I have one of those Mack Truck bulldogs sitting around here somewhere. I don't know what I thought I was ever going to do with it, but I know I've had it at least 30 years!

Paula Scott said...

What fun!!! You know I love those old Chevy's! And those hood ornaments. Wow! I'm speechless.

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

LOVE those old cars! You got some nice shots Ralph...thanks for sharing them :)

Car Dealer Coleraine said...

Old cars are truly fascinating. I'm always fond of seeing them on the road. Thanks for the photos.