Sunday, July 20, 2014

Whimsical Windows - Sea Gull Motel

Vacations past seems to be a recurring theme for me, and so for Toby's meme Whimsical Windows/Delirious Doors, it is the soft sand and rolling Atlantic waves at Brigantine Beach New Jersey, and a retro look at the Sea Gull Motel, next to the old Sea Gull Cottages (long gone) in two phases - under construction in 1965, with my grandmother getting her pic shot by my namesake grandfather with his German Exa SLR.

The next is in color in its pink stucco with my grandmother, just four years later in 1969. An efficiency motel with a kitchen, it was the only way our brood of seven kids could afford a vacation by avoiding restaurants every day. More time to play on the beach :)

We stayed there for vacation getaways in 1966, Labor Day 1967, 1968, 1969 and 1972. Current reviews of the place now are generally poor - but not in my childhood memories of surf, sand and sun...

2 comments:

toby said...

Oh, what nice balcony windows! The color adds a lot, I would not have guessed that the building was pink :) Great post!

photodoug said...

Clever use of this timing expanse. Thanks for sharing.