Sunday, May 10, 2015

Whimsical Windows - Pigeon Style Parking

For this week's architectural themed meme Whimsical Windows/Delirious Doors, I am posting a subject that has been seen before that is quite unique. I like the image so much, and the now retro 1950s autos, it is the desktop picture on my computer :)

This is a picture taken by my grandfather in 1955 in the steeltown of Steubenville Ohio. This car-park apparatus referred to as Pigeon Hole Parking, where a lift device moves horizontally and vertically to place your car in a discreet spot and could be easily retrieved when your shopping or errands were complete.

In the background is the now shuttered Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel mill. When I was in college in the city on the 1970s, this mill was busy place and lots of parking available. Not as busy these days, sixty years removed from 1955...