Saturday, June 27, 2015

Shadow Shot Sunday - Back Yard, 1947


Shadow Shot Sunday 2 allows us to look for shadowy subjects be they grand or prosaic. I decided to look back to the year 1947 (a guess) to the back yards of two abodes in the LaBelle View neighborhood in the steeltown of Steubenville, Ohio.

To the left is my grandmother Agnes, performing the task of drying clothes on a clothesline outside, probably before the days of affordable clothes dryers. To the right is a neighbor, also doing the same thing. It appears that she lived in the garage apartment on La Belle Court, the back porch facing the back side of my grandparents  Oregon Avenue house. Shadows and smiles make for a nice day, housework or not :)

9 comments:

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Always love seeing the shadows from the past that you post!

bj said...

Hi,Ralph, love seeing these olden photos...reminds me of helping my mother hang clothes on the line (and running to get them off if it started to rain.

Chubskulit Rose said...

I was born in the 70s but back in my former country, they still do this kind of drying clothes till this day.

Rose

Gemma Wiseman said...

Wow. These photos are a wonderful memory. And I still dry clothes on a clothesline outside - especially sheets.

colleen said...

The sheet is like a movie screen. I still hang clothes!

Kathe W. said...

nothing better than sheets dried in the sun- they smell so wonderful! Great shots- thanks for digging them out!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I still love to hang laundry outside and let the sun and wind do their freshening magic!

Norma Ruttan said...

I love these shots! I miss being able to hang laundry outside- not allowed in this mobile home park. The fragrance permeated the laundry like no softener can. I even liked the scratchy towels!

adidas nmd said...

adidas nmd runner
michael kors handbags
nike football boots
adidas superstar shoes
lacoste outlet
nmd
air jordan
pandora charms
kobe basketball shoes
tory burch outlet