Saturday, January 18, 2014

Shadow Shot Sunday - Exempted

Shadow Shot Sunday 2 is back. I am constantly scanning the thousands of old photos taken by my grandfather that I 'inherited' in 1981. What prompts this has to do with a box of pictures sent to me by my Aunt Terry last year...here is his business car in 1955, a Plymouth of the same year, in a slightly different shadowy shot of a previously posted pic. He fixed police and fire department radios in many towns and hamlets in and around Steubenville Ohio and Weirton West Virginia from the 1930-1970s. With an emphasis on the police departments as we look at the next item.

Also in the same box was this item that may explain why he drove really fast...he had friends in high places. This letter was very carefully folded, as if it was meant to be carried in a wallet. Is is the proverbial get-out-of-the-speeding-ticket device that you present to a police officer? Grandpa Ralph, of course was a man of unquestionable character. So a mystery continues...

10 comments:

Gemma Wiseman said...

Wow. What treasures. You could just about set up some kind of gallery of all these photos and include the letter. A wonderful looking shiny car.

Jim said...

That's a top shot.

Catherine said...

The photos from the past that you post are wonderfully evocative....

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

You are so fortunate to have access to so many old family photos. Thank you for sharing bits and pieces of your history with us!

Catching Sunrise, Carrying Light

Ruth Kelly said...

With all the old photos that I inherited, I published a family history book so that I could share them with cousins.

colleen said...

Those were the days. Love that old typewritten letter.

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

I assume you were named after your Grandfather. Hopefully, you did not (ah hem) inherit his love of speed! Really cool photo and interesting 'get-out-of-a-speeding' ticket letter!

TheChieftess said...

Haha!!! I need one of those letters!!!

BLOGitse said...

Wow, i want to have a letter like that in my pocket! :)
Great memories you have!
Good to be back...even if it's cold but sleeping in my own bed is so cool :)
Have a good week ahead!
BLOGitse

edenhills said...

What wonderful treasures to have inherited! I remember as a young child, my police officer father had a Motorola radio in his squad car.