Sunday, February 16, 2014

Whimsical Windows - Surveying the past





Toby graciously hosts the architectural meme Whimsical Windows/Delirious Doors, and we look for interesting portals and such. My subject today is a restored old building, Horbal Land Surveyors in our neighboring town to the north, Seymour. I always liked this, being restored to what I imagine it looked like 100+ years ago - simple, brick and functional without any adornment.

With the modern accoutrements that surround it today, such as trash containers and fire hydrants, I have attempted to "age" the building visually. I was working with Pinta software that allows me to alter the scenes a bit. Beyond the original, I used sepia, ink and pencil motifs - all merely accenting the fine lines of an honest building that has not succumbed to urban renewal...

2 comments:

toby said...

Oh, I like all of these versions! It is indeed a handsome old building! I'd say, though, that it does have *some* adornment in the frilly green cap that it's wearing, over the front door :)

Julie Huston said...

Nice pictures of an old building