Sunday, June 22, 2014

Whimsical Windows - Happy New Year 1964

For Toby's fun meme Whimsical Windows/Delirious Doors, I offer an old view and I think that I think I know what it is. As some know, I have been scanning a lot of old photos in an effort to digitize the Villers past. My Aunt Terry has been sending me old prints I don't have and I am compiling complete sets of old pics, maybe 2000-2500 in total, to put by subject into a series of CD/DVD slideshows. 

So what is this? I believe is New Year's  Eve 1963, my grandfather upstairs overlooking Times Square in Manhattan as the ball drop commenced at Midnight - check the clock on the Bond Clothiers as the big and little hands are both neatly lined up at the number 12...

How can I be reasonably sure of this? This pic was in a sequence that included our grandparents visit for the holidays in 1963 and they always went home via NYC. The Christmas tree was in the dining room of our new home in CT...and 1963 was the only year the tree was in the dining room. If my memory remains in working order over the past five decades :)

1 comment:

toby said...

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work! You're a good sleuth, figuring out both the time and place of this very interesting scene :) Well done!