Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Election 2012 - Not my choice...

Count me as one who really wanted Obama to lose and Romney to win despite the appearances of a physically disabled person voting for the Republican candidate – and I have dealings with may a disabled person who voted (and feel) far differently. Some background to explain:
  • I have Muscular Dystrophy and use a power wheelchair to get around due to progressing physical issues
  • I receive Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI). I've been hesitant to disclose this as it seems counterintuitive for someone with my condition to ‘vote against my own self-interest’ as many a liberal blog commenter may suggest
  • Obviously, Medicare is my only medical insurance
  •  I want desperately to make enough income to ditch the SSDI and the part-time income of $1000/mo I am allowed before I am 62 (57 now) to avoid being moved to the minimal and lower SSA retirement benefits
  • I do not like relying on the SSDI as it goes against my grain of preferring to earn my income…not accept benefits
It appears a contradiction to want to ditch the SSDI and with our new attempt to grow from our new and small Alcam Writing LLC business. So why the republican candidate then? It has to do with unintended consequences of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), aka Obamacare, in this one of several areas...

As a disabled consumer utilizing Medicare, I am concerned is the Independent Payment Advisory Board (IPAB).  PL 111–148, P.189:

“This advisory board under this paragraph shall consist of 15 members appointed by the Comptroller General of the United States…”, a political appointee and in the not elected, so there can be no minimal recourse available to myself...like a vote against.

Further, how will this group of 15 choose what medical procedures will this board allow or deny in my case…will so-called quality of life issues (such as my MD) be an important parameter? What about political affiliation? Can questions like this along with the probable exploding PPACA costs start to become items that may minimize or deny me care?  

(there are more reasons for not chosing to vote for the president...will post later)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

buy valium buy valium ireland - valium 10 mg half life