Sunday, November 11, 2012

Whimsical Windows - Dwarfed

A favorite meme of mine, Whimsical Windows/Delirious Doors, is back for the week. Our intrepid host Toby allows us the freedom to find interesting architectural items to post, and windows, doors and perspectives. A fun pursuit as we all run into such, and hope to have photographic devices with some charge remaining.

Of course, pictures were once taken without digital modernity, such as this one taken by a relative with my manual Pentax K1000 in 1982, an SLR with nothing automatic, and heavy with its steel body and K-mount lenses. It would be a challenge to use for me these days...

The place is the famous Cologne (Köln) cathedral - I found this original print another original and scanned it this afternoon. The sense of proportion is what I see - for instance, the twin spires are 157M (515 ft) tall and I, even in my walking days, am dwarfed by comparison. A landmark that could not be constructed these days due to cost, so it remains an original!

3 comments:

toby said...

Ralph, that is absolutely amazing! I could admire it all day...
I'm so glad that you scanned it and shared it with us!

VioletSky-Sightlines said...

I remember seeing this cathedral for the first time and being quite awe-struck by its immenseness. And the bullet holes left in the sides from the war.

Lesley said...

This is very busy architecture, isn't it?!
usually go to great pains to have no people in my pictures, but you are right - without all of you (and the others) that sense of proportion would be lost.