Monday, November 5, 2012

Ruby Tuesday - Embers

For Ruby Tuesday 2, my rubies are simple - showing the embers in one of the fireplaces at the historic David Humphreys House in Ansonia CT, built in 1698. Of course, today we are spoiled by having triple-paned windows, fiberglass insulation real central heating systems - here, the entire heat on cold winter days was provided by the three central fireplaces, with uneven heat to say the least.

The Derby Historical Society opens the home in November for a thanksgiving meal, the docents and junior docents dress up in period to cook and serve the fare. In these pictures, the pumpkins are hollowed out and vegetables are cooked inside them...below the gourds in the cast iron pot sits a butternut squash pie baked inside...and the silver device is a replica of a manual turkey rotisserie. 

Food is cooked around and near the ruby embers, and so on Saturday, I am bringing my appetite - and another layer for warmth...

10 comments:

Patti said...

That squash pie is delicious! ;-)

HansHB said...

Great RT2 post!

Lola said...

Superb RT2 post!

Gemma Wiseman said...

Enchanting views of the embers! A sense of nostalgia for quieter, other days!

joyce said...

great entry!have a nice day...

bj said...

wow...just thinking of cooking a complete meal this way makes me smile. I am glad to have my cook top, oven and microwave, tho. :)
Not nearly as pretty or romantic as this beautiful fire.
Love this RT post...

e Joops said...

I like those pumpkins.

My RUBY
Your comment is always appreciated!

Robin said...

The vegetables are cooked inside the pumpkin? That sounds delicious!

Chubskulit Rose said...

I kinda miss food that is cook through firewood. We still do that back home.

Liz said...

Great pics!

My Ruby