Sunday, December 16, 2012

Whimsical Windows - Curvaceous Chapel

Chapel, Franciscan University, Steubenville, Ohio. July, 1999
Toby hosts the fun architectural meme Whimsical Windows/Delirious Doors. Today, I am using a scanned print from 1999, and it is the chapel at my alma mater, Franciscan University in Steubenville. The building has few doors and windows but has a dramatic curvy shape that stands out on the hill of this old coal and steel city on a hot day. On top, I see a rowboat of sorts aiming up - to the heavens perhaps? Opened in 1968, the elliptical house of worship catches our eyes looking upward and outward...

3 comments:

toby said...

How beautiful! Definitely eye-catching, that's a bit of an understatement. I love it!
I wonder who the architect is? I want to see more :)

Robin said...

What wonderful lines that chapel has, so clean and eye-catching.

Lesley said...

I really like the dramatic sweep heavenward. It is a very different style, yet still easily identifiable as a church (even without the cross).
It reminds me in a way of a Viking ship.