Sunday, March 24, 2013

Whimsical Windows - Bastogne Battle Star



Toby hosts the fun architectural meme Whimsical Windows/Delirious Doors where we look for items of fun or perhaps history. Today it is the latter - the US memorial Mardasson at Bastogne in the Ardennes in Belgium. This was built as a memorial to the fallen in the battle in December 1944 Siege of Bastogne - where the US army's 101st Airborne division successfully repelled, at great cost,  the siege if the Nazi army and defeated their planned capture the Belgian port city of Antwerp.

I took this on a 1982 vacation visit to Bastogne and was impressed with this structure. I believe that it appears as a star from the air. From the ground, the (then 48) states are engraved. It was impressive when I was there decades ago. The scanned print was faded in color so was edited in B&W. An amazing monument to bravery and being on the right side of history...

2 comments:

Lesley said...

I bet this is impressive from above.
It also looks there are people walking along the top, so you really get to wander in and out and through and over this memorial!

toby said...

I can see why you were impressed, this is quite a monument! Such a strong image, and very unique. Thanks for sharing it - now I can add something to my list of things I'd like to see :)
Have a great week!