Saturday, April 12, 2014

SOOC - Instrumental Salvation

The Salvation Army Band, from Hartford, CT, plays on...

SOOC - Straight out of the Camera Sunday brings me back a mere two days after a Salvation Army dinner Patti and I attended. And we were treated to live music, a Salvation Army Band played before and during dinner, and it was a treat. In this photo, insufficient light makes an interesting effect: the conductor's baton almost looks to be in motion as he leads the eight-piece brass ensemble.

The term Salvation Army band has always intrigued me, as I first heard this when I was wayyyy younger (maybe you can guess my age :) I listened to AM radio in the mid-late 1960s and the Simon and Garfunkel song Hazy Shade of Winter where I heard the lyric (between 0:57 - 1:01 on the video). And there is another appropriate phrase about "Carrying your cup in your hand"...Now I understand better what I heard in 1966...



3 comments:

colleen said...

I always think about the Leonard Cohen song Suzanne the and the line where he says she shops at Salvation Army counters. Love Simon and Garfunkel and used to buy their albums back when I was shopping at Salvation Army counters. (Salvation Army sounds a bit like an oxymoron.)

carol l mckenna said...

Great composition of the band for SOCCS ~ Happy Weekend to you ~ xoxo

artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

Gemma Wiseman said...

Colleen took my first thought about Cohen's song "Suzanne". The tone of Cohen's song - with a touch of sacred melancholy - seems to filter through your image. Lovely soft shadows.