Sunday, May 26, 2013

Whimsical Windows - Cathedral of St. Paul


Toby hosts the fun architectural meme, Whimsical Windows/Delirious Doors - we look for interesting portals and such. Today, I found this subject in a (big) bunch of photos I scanned last November. I was, however unaware of just what it was. Given the degradation of the color print, I deduced it was from the1980s...with some luck, I found this to be from 1983 and is the Cathedral of St. Paul, in the Minnesota city of the same name. Built in 1904, the architect was Louis Masqueray, the style referred to as Classical Revival. It is imposing even with the softer sepia edit. The mystery of what it was is now solved in this impressve structure...

8 comments:

Patti said...

That is an impressive edifice indeed!

Lesley said...

Except for the white of the lamp post, this looks like a much older photo!

Lesley said...

And I really like that little domed room tucked into the corner!

toby said...

I agree with Lesley, my first thought was that you had found a painting of a European cathedral from hundreds of years ago... and then I saw the streetlight and traffic light :) Great work here adjusting this into sepia, your result is amazing!

Crafty Green Poet said...

beautiful building and it sounds like a fun meme too!

photodoug said...

Structurally impressive.

Jackie/Jake said...

I expected St. Paul's in London! The photos from the 80s really did discolour but I found that Photoshop easily corrected the colours.

Gerald (SK14) said...

Great photo - a lovely find