Sunday, August 18, 2013

Whimsical Windows - Oregon Avenue back then




















Toby hosts the fun architectural meme Whimsical Windows/Delirious Doors - we look for portals of interest. Those who follow my blogs know that I often refer to the past for inspiration as I have scanned maybe 1,000 or more old B&W prints since I inherited the JB Scotch box of photos when he passed away in 1981. And last week, my Aunt Terry shipped a box of old pictures to me for scanning and archiving, and these two jumped at me. Taken in 1947 (according to the license plate), it is in front of my grandparent's house at 1645 Oregon avenue in Steubenville, Ohio. My aunt is a well-dressed girl and her brother, my dad, dressed in a very stylish suit. The house is as I recall as a kid, and it remembered it up to 1981. It sits in a neighborhood that I assume, or at least hope, is still lined by these neat row houses are just as I remembered...

5 comments:

Sophie A. said...

wow...precious photos you share with us!

Your aunt is such an elegant little girl that time, she has very delightful smile. :)

I see the reflection in that old old window.

VioletSky said...

Doesn't she look quite the young lady?!!
Love that car, too. How is it the licence plate has letters instead of numbers, do you know?

toby said...

I'm always impressed with your attractive family, Ralph! And to have only two letters on a license plate is pretty cool, too :)
Thanks for sharing these with us!

Patti said...

Great pictures, RV!!

Lesley said...

That is great that you have so many old photos. My family didn't bring out the camera that often.