Friday, August 23, 2013

Shadow Shot Sunday - Mesa mystery

Three well-dressed gentlemen in front of a mesa in the Grand Canyon State, (1937?)
License plate mystery solved?
 Shadow Shot Sunday 2 and my namesake grandfather - it's not necessarily new for me as I have been chronicling the distant family past for awhile now (as Patti knows :). Yet my father's sole sibling, Aunt Terry has been following these photo memes and sent me another box of old photos a couple of weeks ago full of photos I haven't yet seen...
Always interesting is not knowing the background of the shot at all - so I merely guess. 

The three gentlemen, Grandpa in the middle, are obviously on the way to someplace special since they are wearing nicely tailored suits - in the desert? Maybe this is on U.S. 60 west from New Mexico?

More interesting are the two license plats on the car. his usual Ohio 'RV' plate and another - his radio license? The second photo, taken in 1977 or 1978, may explain that - the 1937 Ohio tag and...the 1937 radio license? I cannot say - however, along with the shadows, I do like a mystery...

11 comments:

Sylvia K said...

What fun and interesting shadow shots for the day, Ralph! I have so enjoyed the old photos that you've shared with us! Enjoy your weekend!!

Sophie A. said...

I really like how men dress so nicely those days...
Nice shadows sharing.

happy weekend.

Jeanne Baney said...

Shadows from the past! I love that. Great photograph and more to come, I hope!

Catherine said...

stunning shot - I really have enjoyed seeing your retro shots from the past and as you say the shroud of mystery and enigma only heightens this pic...fabulous!!

Kathe W. said...

very mysterious and evocative photo! Like those shadows! Have a great day!

robin. said...

i love your old photos Ralph...they really do hold such great stories!!

Gemma Wiseman said...

At first I thought that the first photo was a still from a Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby movie. But then I realised that the body heights weren't quite right. An amazing shot. And certainly a mystery. And the second photo is a stunning document of history. But what history? Great photos.

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Yes! That is the state line between New Mexico and Arizona just outside of Gallup. Fun to see these and love your speculations!

blogitse said...

What a shot!
Handsome looking guys, wow.
I'm sure some writers make up their stories based on photos like this...

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Dear Ralph hello there : )
Now isn't this interesting !
I love a mystery and especially set back in time .. do you think perhaps they were tracking a UFO sighting and crash ? LOL .. You and your grandfather look very much alike when he was younger .. handsome indeed!
Both of you have a very strong presence in pictures .. love seeing the "long ago" pictures!
Joy : )

Norma Ruttan said...

oh, how I love vintage photos! and now you have MORE to rummage through!