Sunday, May 4, 2014

Whimsical Windows - Saybrook Breakwater Light

It is again time for Toby's fun architectural meme Whimsical Windows/Delirious Doors, and perhaps our subjects may be of much grandeur. Or a little - which this is. It is Connecticut's Saybrook breakwater light, sitting at the confluence of the Connecticut River and Long Island Sound and was opened in 1866 and is privately held today. I think we often look at lighthouses as being bigger and mightier, such as the famous Chatham Lighthouse on Cape Cod. However, any beacon of light that keeps ships in the channel and off the rocks is mighty indeed...

3 comments:

Lesley said...

One thing about lighthouses is you get a great 360ยบ view!

toby said...

Oh, I like it a lot! It doesn't strike me as small at all, just sturdy and reassuring :)

Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog!

Linda said...

Looks great to me but then again, I am a sucker for pretty much any lighthouse as you know!