Sunday, February 12, 2012

Whimsical Windows - Portal in Red


Toby hosts the fun weekly meme, Whimsical Windows / Delirious Doors. In this, we look for windows, doors, and other architectural gems. I am in hometown of Ansonia CT. This is Christ (Episcopal) Church. This stone edifice is the third building of the congregation, and was of opened in 1896. What stands out is the door, painted in red as per the Episcopalian custom in the northeast US. The stonework is beautiful, the windows also a classic 19th century style found in all these old industrial towns - it still works well through the decades and centuries...
Also posted as part of Tina's 29 Days

6 comments:

toby said...

Wow, you're right about the stonework - how classic and lovely! And that door certainly stands out, you couldn't miss it :)
Great find - thanks as always for playing!

sparrow said...

Nice photos - reminds me of England (where I"m from originally).

Lesley said...

I hadn't really noticed that certain denominations used red doors exclusively, but on looking it up, I see that Episcopalians use 'The Red Door' as a name for many of their projects.

Willow said...

Until I read your comments, I too thought the church was in England. I hadn't known that 'red doors' is typical of Episcopal churches. I'll look around SoCal and see if the tradition holds out here in the west.

M.Kate said...

It's beautiful and love that red door :)

Sara said...

Red is always a favorite of mine, anywhere it may appear. I like those stones too...a lovely structure.