Sunday, April 1, 2012

Whimsical Windows - Second hand memories


Toby hosts the fun architectural meme Whimsical Windows - Delirious Doors. We aim to find portals of interest, elegance and style. Not necessarily in that order...

I titled the post as I did as I was not more than four at that time, so have some knowledge of the players and place.The year is 1959, the date stamps on the prints. The subjects are my father, his sister Terry and their parents Ralph and Agnes, aka Grandpa and Grandma V.

The place is in St. Paul Minnesota at St, Catherine  University, my aunt's alma mater. For unique windows, I assume the top left is a chapel on campus or somewhere else in the Twin Cities.


My grandfather used a sophisticated (for the day) German Exa SLR. Despite the camera, he wasn't looking for effect, but for the memories of where they had been. So, he and Agnes were photographed in front of wherever it was

I guess these are dorms, with interesting styling details if mundane windows.


What I like are the 1959 details that are all over the pictures.

Such as his suit, tie, pocket handkerchief and hat. As for her, the coat is stylish, the hat...different! I suppose the fountain statuary is the namesake of the university; The vehicle, was a 1958 Ford Ranch Wagon. The scenes are made up of many subjects, the windows flanking unique people in a unique era...

See more portals of all types at Toby's fun meme!

6 comments:

toby said...

Oh, Ralph - I love seeing your portals into the past! Your family certainly does look dignified. And those windows are not mundane, I'm pretty sure that opening corner windows like we see in those dorms were pretty revolutionary, relatively speaking :)
Thanks for playing in WWDD, have a great week!

Lesley said...

I think your grandfather managed to get a good effect with the first picture - it is composed nicely with the rose window and the car showing the licence plate and your dad and aunt.
I also really like those corner windows in the other building.

sparrow said...

Fantastic pictures! I love seeing family history shots.

Sara said...

Trips down memory lane in old photos are always fascinating, not the least of which are the fashions. I'm sure those buildings are still there...it would be interesting to see them in a more recent photo, in color, for contrast.

Willow said...

The circular window in the first photo reminds me of the round window in the mission in Carmel, California. And it contrasts nicely with the angular window in the back of the car.

Lovely memories here too.

EG CameraGirl said...

You are very fortunate to have so many older family photos.