Saturday, February 2, 2013

Shadow Shot Sunday - Snowy Suburban Memories

8 February 1978, Wickham Drive, East Hartford
December 1963

Shadow Shot Sunday 2 arrives in the winter season up here. I am not a fan of winter so much these days, yet photos of long ago in East Hartford CT do leave lasting memories. These seen before and recently re-edited photos do reinforce memories...

Since we are near the 35th anniversary of the 'Blizzard Larry' (as Channel 3 in Hartford called it) of February 6-7 1978 on Wickham Drive in East Hartford. With no snow-thrower at home, many kids were needed to finally move the 24 inches (61 cm) of not-so-fluffy snow. At least we were left with snow Alp shadows. 

The old picture is from around Christmas 1963 and maybe 4in/10cm, a far more pleasant snowfall. I believe Grandpa is in the window, directing my father in taking the picture from the road. Seasonal snowy shadowy scenes both...

15 comments:

Kathe W. said...

Ralph- I so enjoy your photos and stories....that was some winter back in 1963~

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I would LOVE to have that much snow on the ground here!!

Sylvia K said...

I do agree with Kathe, Ralph!! What a winter indeed!! Reminds me of the winters in Montana when my kids were growing up!! COLD, but beautiful! Hope you have a great weekend -- stay warm!!

Catherine said...

wonderful snow shots - loving the snow from a great distance of course..

Paula Scott said...

Gosh, those images sends shivers up and down my spine! And, makes me even more grateful for the sunshine and warmth we have today.

MyMaracas said...

Wow, Ralph. That is a lot of snow.

We've had it that deep here, but not for a long time. And that suits me just fine.
;-)

colleen said...

I survived that blizzard in Mass in 1978 but we didn't call it Larry. The photos bring back memories of simpler and snowier times!

Gemma Wiseman said...

Another fascinating glimpse of your past worlds! So love the story behind the second photo and the glimpse of a face behind the window!

robin. said...

pictures of snow past...i remember those types of photos well...snow banks as high as the roof...snowed in for days with snowmobiles bringing us milk...ah great memories.

Chubskulit Rose said...

I love these old photos!

Shadowy Background.
Your comment is always appreciated..

Lighthousegal said...

Great photos. That sure was a lot of snow. If we had that amount of snow here, it would close the place down. I remember when I was a child having a big snow and my parents not being able to get home because the roads were closed, even the interstate was shut down. My brothers, sister and I had to go to my grandparents house to spend the night because my parents didn't want us home by ourselves, even though my grandparents lived next door and my older brother and I were in high school. We had several big snows and were out of school the entire month of January that year.

BLOGitse said...

Those were the days we liked snow!
But more light helps to survive :)
I'm planning to go back to Málaga in May - to practice Spanish plus greet the summer before it comes here. :)
Have a good week ahead!

Vane M. said...

A neve rende sombras incríveis. Um abraço!

Beverley Baird said...

What great memories of long ago winters! I remember those with lots of snowfall - especially in Montreal.
Great shadows too!

Chubby Chieque said...

So hard life.

Good that we have trees to help us to comfort us, give us warmth.

Nowadays, electricity is a must. A lil easier but more expensive.

Hope you had a great w/end, bro with Patti.

GB,
/Chie