Saturday, September 21, 2013

Shadow Shot Sunday - Shadows in Time

Both style and elegance ruled in the 1930s...
Shadow Shot Sunday 2 is back as are more archived scans, another one from the files of a gentleman named Ralph from Steubenville Ohio, of course my namesake grandfather. I scanned this recently and time has allowed this print to give a softness to both scene and shadow in this late 1930s print. Try doing a current search for the Kent House and the choices are endless. So I'll conclude that this obviously was a fine restaurant near the northeast Ohio college town of Kent. I will further assume that Grandpa asked the maître d’hôtel, valet or other staff to take the photo as he seemed to want to chronicle to his contemporaries that he was actually there. And in those days, nobody wore a hat into an eatery as so many more do today - it was a bit classier in style then...

14 comments:

Jim said...

One out of the archives.

Sylvia K said...

I always love your shots from your archives, Ralph, and they are always a fun look back! Enjoy your weekend!!

colleen said...

A peek into the shadows of the past. Who is that peeking in the corner?

Kathe W. said...

a timeless and classic photo-cheers!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Dear Ralph ... I love seeing these archive photos and you are so right about elegance and taste.
But ? .. there is a playfulness with your grandfather's crossed leg stance .. that makes me smile !
Joy : )

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Indeed-styles were more dapper back then, it seems. Your Grandfather looks tall. Too bad our current culture dresses so casually ( to the other extreme). Happy scanning!

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Oh-and thanks for the heads up on the broken link!

Genie Robinson said...

What a classic portrait of that period. How nice he looked. How things have changed. This shot make me want to get into the old albums again. genie

Shirley said...

It was once deemed poor manners to enter a restaurant or someone's home without removing your hat. There are times when I genuinely favour the traditions of old.

Gemma Wiseman said...

Impressive display of a coat of arms on the upper verandah. Very smooth pose of this guy.

BLOGitse said...

What a cool guy! I like these old photos...

ps. PLS change your comment settings to URL/name option - openID is not working anymore and my id in Blogger is to my old Blogger blog, thank you!
my blog is here >>> BLOGitse

ps. Patti has URL/name option! :)

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I'm looking at his shoes. Wow!

Tree Silhouette

Huldra said...

So it was. Nice picture and history to follow :)

Jeannie Marie said...

What a great shot! It certainly says 30's to me! Love those high waisted trousers.