Saturday, January 14, 2012

Shadow Shot Sunday - Elevating

For Shadow Shot Sunday (2) I am moving in different directions - up and down.

I started to use a wheelchair in November 1995, and it was not by choice...yet, it was not like life had ended, but became different.

In my walking days, I hadn't considered that one could actually drive - however, it can be. My three vehicles and their lifts are being showcased - as they also are full of shadows...Above was my first, taken on its second day at home, 21 April 1996. It was a used 1989 Dodge B250.
It was as hulking as it looks, and being used to driving a small Nissan Sentra (Sunny), I had to adjust, both to its size and the greater amount of petrol it needed.

The driver's seat is what the wheelchair transfers into,  and turns it 90° to drive normally, whatever that is :)
I was obtained my next vehicle on 26 May 1998, a new full-sized Ford E-150 van, also with a lift and actually a bit bigger than the last one. The shadows are now from the inside looking out. 

This picture was taken almost twelve years and 158,000 miles (254,000 km) later - just before I received my current ride...

A 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. This one is different than the last two, a minivan with floor modifications, a ramp entrance and shadows as well! From 10 March 2010, I have been enjoying this transportation device.

Smaller than its predecessors, although big enough at 4200 pounds (1906 kg), it rides more like a car and is quieter inside. Obviously, I would prefer to walk and not drive one of these - I would drive a small car and manual transmission if it were possible. However, acceptance is needed to move ahead, and since I am able to drive, it is the blessing we must accept with grace and not complaint...









Last week, I alluded to a YouTube video of the vacation slideshow. I actually made a 13  minute DVD with five classic Motown songs (Ain't that Peculiar, Get Ready, I Was Made to Love Her, I Can't Help Myself and Heatwave). However, YouTube is very conscious of copyrights and wouldn't allow its use. So, I found the old tunes - big band music and old black-white pictures go together well (there are duplicate pictures on both, but am still learning...)

18 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Not anything that any of us want to have to learn, but you do and have done it with such a terrific attitude, Ralph! I have the greatest admiration for you and Patti both! You both deal with your reality far better than most of us and you're both an inspiration for all of us! Thank you for sharing the good, the bad and the ugly -- well, that's a little extreme, but I hope you know what I mean! Wishing you both a great weekend! Stay warm!

Sylvia

Cassie said...

You keep track of history in film the way most of us only wish we had Ralph! I sure admire the way you role. Literally! We might be in a lousy time here in terms of the economy, but can't we just praise the Lord for the advancements in technology in the past 50 years or so?! Thanks for once again reminding us that there is always, always always something to be thankful for. Happy SSS.

Kelly said...

You're certainly an inspiration with your acceptance and willingness to move forward despite your circumstances. And what an interesting way to bring us some shadows today!

Leora said...

Good for you for putting together those great slideshows!

You certainly do set a great example of someone who moves forward despite setbacks. Personally, I would rather walk everywhere...

colleen said...

The shadows are subtle. I'm glad you can get around!

Gemma Wiseman said...

These videos are enchanting! Love the beach scenes! But my favourite must be the street scenes of bikes! There is a distinct lack of cars and bikes seem to rule the roads! You can actually be photographed side by side in the street!

Beautiful insights too into your vehicles over time! The shadows add a dimension of mystery inviting exploration of all the nooks and crannies inside!

Genie said...

Your positivity and hope give me hope in return. Sometimes I get so down with my back...was diagnosed with a full “S” curvature of the spine...i.e.scholiosis. I am now 72 an for the last 20 years has been going south on me. The chronic pain and number of spasms have increased and I am unable to be the free spirit I always have been. But that is OK. I do not complain though I do get down because of frustration. I am now under the care of a neurologist that ONLY does scholiosis patients and he has me scheduled for a myleogram and a CT scan in three months. For now he has me on a drug which is supposed to calm the spasms but it calms me to the point where I become monfuntional. We have already started getting the house ready if I end up having to go the wheelchair route. Put on a handicapped bathroom whose cost ended up being 3 times the expected price....and we have moved my bedroom downstairs to the old parlor (the farmhouse is 110 years old), YOu have to go through it to get to the living room, but too bad, I cannot do the steel little steps anymore. Loved seeing your vehicles. I never realized the chair became the driver’s seat. DUH! Genie...Use your brain, girl. Hope you enjoy your new one and get lots and lots of use from it. Take care....genie

LV said...

Be thankful there things such as these to keep you going and doing for yourself. Life is never perfect. But, you are making the best of it.

nana_ang_poppaphil said...

You are a true inspiration to us all Ralph, thanks for sharing your vehicles with us all, the shadows are great.

Your slideshows are awesome, I really enjoyed the combination of old photos with the music.

Have a great week.

chubskulit said...

You are an inspiration with your positive attitude and outlook in life! You are also blessed with a very loving and supportive family!

Mom Daughter Style said...

very interesting, thanks for the input.

Ces of http://momdaughterstyle.blogspot.com/

Catherine said...

What an inspiring post - and your boardwalk films are wonderful...greetings from the riviera

BLOGitse said...

These videos are great!
You mixed good music with lovely memories with style, thanks for sharing.
Happy Sunday!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Dear Ralph
What can I say that your other commentators have not ? .. it always amazes me how differently people can take a situation and turn it around for themselves and their families .. we have a profound affect on our families with how we treat our disabilites.
Your family must be very proud and happy with you : )
My situation and the chronic on going pain is .. what it is .. and I have to deal with it.
I am putting off using the cane as long as possible and I have a wonderful SUV that makes me feel safe and is easy to drive, so I am VERY lucky : )
The shadows are great and the slide shows are wonderful !
I love the music of big bands and the secon slide show music is PERFECT !
Joy : )

sarayutouched said...

i made a twenty-five wedding anniversary video and uploaded for close to an hour on youtube only to find out it wouldn't allow the music for your same reason...the music was a very important part of the video...technology sometimes...anyway. great post as always ralph. i agree with my fellow posters, you are a positive man. i have worked with many people over the years who refused to look for the glass half fill!! happy sss2!!

frayedattheedge said...

Life is what we make it, and you obviously make the most of yours with your positive attitude. Excellent shaodows from your various vehicles.

Ms. Becky said...

you've accepted the circumstances of your life with beautiful grace. I admire that. I had a good friend who spent the last several years of his life in a wheelchair and he had a similar van. I'm happy that the world has made some fine adjustments so that you're better able to maintain some independence. and thank you for the videos!!! they're fantastic.
happy SSS to you Ralph.

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

Slick wheel Ralph! LOVE your videos :)