Saturday, May 12, 2012

Shadow Shot Sunday - Antique

Twitchell-Rowland House, Oxford, CT...Photo by Patti V.
Shadow Shot Sunday 2 is back, and old views with shodows were sought and captured.

We like to visit local historical sites, and last week visited the nearby (20 minutes away) Oxford Historical Society open house at the Twitchell-Rowland Homestead. The house was built in 1755, and seems representative of its era with the three fireplaces venting in a common fireplace. 

Unlike today, the function defined its simple shape…

Dolly enjoys a snack...Photo by Patti




And of course the visit to the homestead in the town of Oxford – the hilly land and rocky soil must have made farming back then a hard way to make a living then. But with shadows worthy of a post today :)







We missed the shearing of Merino sheep Dolly. Naturally, this breed was introduced to America by local historical figure David Humphreys of Derby. This ewe with the real loud (and often) bleating was Dolly. Even when shorn, she maintains a fine and soft texture.
Luxury lacking Model 'A'...Patti V.

Given the day, a vehicle that stands the test of time is a 1931 Ford Model ‘A’ produce delivery vehicle that has its classic lines as well as subtle shadows. I prefer to contrast of the interior views from then to now – no side windows, wooden floorboards and a bouncy ride compared to the modern windows, upholstery, air conditioning and a smooth ride. 

We’ve become spoiled in our choice of vehicles, but if asked back then if they would prefer what we drive – they would not have objected! See more of the shadowy world at the always fun SSS2

12 comments:

Kelly said...

You visit such interesting places on a regular basis - I'm a big jealous! :)

Your description of Dolly makes me wish I could pet her and I'm glad you gave us the interior shot of the car since that's not a view we often get to see.

Sylvia K said...

Such a great post for the day and such an interesting post, Ralph! All of that and wonderful shadows as well!! I do love Dolly! What a cutie! Hope you have a great weekend!

Sylvia

Carletta said...

A simplistic structure unadorned with fancy trimmings itself a mere 'shadow' of what homes are today.
Dolly even looks soft. :)

robin. said...

i bet that would be lovely wool. post shearing doesn't look as bad as some. have a great weekend ralph!!

BLOGitse said...

Wool, one of the best natural materials today.
You seem to have interesting spots to visit...I try to activate myself when it gets warmer, brrrrr, now it's only 46.4 F, tomorrow it should be warmer.
Happy Sunday!

Chubby Chieque said...

Wow... what a great tour...

I always enjoy when your bring us to your touring mood. Love the surroundings and it's history. Very educational.

I guess, the sheep have to take off their fur for them to chill, aren't they? It's hot overthere, I can see.

TC & GB to you and dear P, bro. Always enjoy.

Happy SSS,
/Chie

MyMaracas said...

You do indeed find some great places to explore. Old places, old ways, old machines all make for interesting shadows and thoughtful moments. Still, I don't think I'd really want to live in those "good" old days. I'm pretty fond of central air and heated seats.
;-)

Gemma Wiseman said...

An interesting old building surrounded by many shapely shadows! Dear Dolly looks very well groomed! Especially love the interior view of the Ford! I didn't realise that vehicles had wooden floorboards back then! I guess they would make great insulators against heat and cold but would hold the wet when driving through puddles! Great shots!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Love your shadows today Ralph! That Model A is a fine one....and I don't think I would complain if it got me from here to there faster than a walk! Your post reminds me of our field trip my son's 4th grade class took to Sauder Villiage in Archabold OH this week....we saw a lamb and while we were there she gave birth ~ now THAT was a field trip our 4 boys we were in charge of will NEVER forget! Enjoy your lovely dinner tomorrow with Patti and her mom ~ wish them both a Happy Mother's Day from us!!

chubskulit said...

Homestead remind me of the movie Shrek. Lovely images Ralph!

Beverley Baird said...

What a lovely place to visit! I've been to a couple of sheep shearings - they are so fast!
Great shadows for the day!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

What? No seat belts in that Model A?
:)

The Great Stone Church