Friday, January 11, 2013

Shadow Shot Sunday - Snowy canvas

The rewarding morn after the snowstorm. 27 Jan 2011
Snow, sun, shadow - a trifecta. 27 Jan 2011

I may be a fan of a four-season climate, but not necessarily one of the cold and snow. The current winter is a bit warmer and not as snowy as this year. So for this Shadow Shot Sunday 2, I am commuting back in in time to 2011 where we received way more snow, as these pictures attest. These pictures have been seen before, yet the untouched blanket of snow under a brilliant sun is pure white with the dappled shadows intruding nicely. Tonight, it is raining - not nearly so attractive. The snowy scape is much nicer looking if not so nice to live with...see seasonal shadows at SSS2!

10 comments:

Catherine said...

I love these snow shots - so deep and billowy - of course I only love snow at a distance......

colleen said...

Oh, these are so cool (pun intended). The first one is something I don't think I'm going to see anymore (withe the weather warming so much in VA) and I love the composition of the second on. It's as if something sinister is about to happen.

Sylvia K said...

Beautiful, snowy captures, Ralph! I have to admit that I love the snow -- but then I was raised in a part of Texas that rarely if ever had more than a handful of snowflakes - ever! But I raised my family in Montana and we all LOVED the snow. I would go with the kids on their paper route after a big snow and it was like being in another world and we'd find ourselves whispering to one another! We loved it!! Thanks for the memories!! Have a good weekend!

robin. said...

sunny and 49 right now...loving it. and i shall hold onto these moments because in our areas...we know it won't last. have a blessed weekend Ralph!!

Kathe W. said...

we have oodles of snow this year- which is good as the mountains need it! Nice shots Ralph!

Gemma Wiseman said...

That is certainly a pile of snow! Like Nature invading and re-shaping the world! The second photo especially is beautiful with the touch of sun and icicles!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Shadows on snow--are they better than sugar on snow?

Lorri said...

What beautiful captures along with your lovely prose.

The shadows speak of the sun, and the warmth to come.

Chubskulit Rose said...

We did not have long icicles, yours is very pretty. I love that first shot too.

Shadow of Kindness
Have a blessed Sunday.

Paula Scott said...

That was an epic snowstorm! We have some very cold (but at least sunny) weather here. Your images made me shiver from the thought of more cold!