Sunday, January 13, 2013

Whimsical Windows - Köln eatery

Across from the cathedral along the Trankgasse in Köln, August 1982
Whimsical Windows/Delirious Doors is back, and again I am transported back to 1982 and this seen before building was outside the Cathedral in the German city of Köln / Cologne. I love the craftsmanship in this European building, typical of the past and not like the modern computer designed angular buildings in the North America of today. I assume a restaurant sits under the red awning; If you look two floors above the gentleman on the balcony, you see the characters that put on a 'show' that is performed for those passing by. I don't know the story, although watching these mechanical 'actors' brought a smile to me. See doors and windows at Toby's meme!

7 comments:

Patti said...

What a beautiful building!

Linnea said...

German architecture can display lots of wonderfully ornate windows! You certainly found that in this shot!

toby said...

Wow, windows with characters telling a story is downright magical! Thanks for sharing these with us :)

Lesley said...

I am imaging these 'actors' come out for a musical dance every hour - what a great way to gather patrons to your restaurant!

Dina said...

It must be fun to see (and hear?) the show, but not sure I'd want to live there with all that action.

sparrow said...

Thanks for posting this Ralph. It takes me back to a trip I did to Cologne in 1976. I had forgotten how special that area is.

Sara said...

That is quite a magnificent clock, taking up the entire front of the building with all those mechanical figures, bells, and all the rest. Did you hear it chime, make music, or whatever it did? Quite amazing.