Sunday, June 9, 2013

Whimsical Windows - Vertically Challenged

Toby is the host of the fun architectural meme, Whimsical Windows/Delirious Doors - we look at interesting bits of buildings. Today is another view of Hartford taken by Patti - who safely is not the driver - from I-91 North. The vertical motif is the theme, from light stanchions to buildings, all seem to be rising to the sky. The more classic building here is the Travelers Insurance tower, opened in 1919 and sits a stately 34 stories high at 527 ft/161 M. The rest of the skyline was built from the late 1960s-1999 and has little of the charm from decades past and is mostly nondescript. But all together compel us to look up (except when driving that is :)

2 comments:

toby said...

Oh, that's a lovely composition! It's true, most of those are drawing our eyes up, but I also like the strong horizontal aspect here, some of the lines are trying to keep us well rooted, despite their being so high in the sky :) Lovely - well shot, Patti!

Sara said...

It's very similar to some views of downtown Long Beach here in California that I used to see on my drive to work before I retired. I love the older, classic building among all the modern squares. They had a more gracious view of architecture in the former times I think.