Sunday, June 16, 2013

Whimsical Windows - One room schoolhouse

Toby hosts the fun architectural meme Whimsical Windows/Delirious Doors - we look at interesting architecture, portals and such. Today we attended a Father's Day car show at the Shelton (CT) History Center, about 20 minutes from home. Obviously, I am an old car freak, especially the large, 1950s chrome laden American barges. However, I have an interest in many other subjects as well - such as the one room Trap Fall School. Opened in 1872, this structure harkens back to an agrarian era long gone and was donated to the Society after spending part of its past life as a storage shed - that is stands still reminds us of preserving history as best we can - lest we forget its lessons...

6 comments:

Lesley said...

These one room schoolhouses always look so cute - but I would not like to have been stuck in one for hours every day! Being with everyone you know within 5 years of your age sounds a bit too close for my liking.

toby said...

Oh, that's lovely, it brings me right back to Laura Ingalls Wilder :)
I'm so glad to hear that this is still standing, even if its purpose has changed a wee bit. Looks like it's in great shape, anyway! Thanks so much for sharing this!

Jeanne said...

How wonderful it was rescued after being a storage shed!

Robin said...

What an adorable little schoolhouse. I'm with Leslie though, I think the fantasy of one is a lot sweeter than the reality was.

I haven't been by in ages (or for that matter blogged at all for months). I hope all's well with you and Patti, Ralph.

Patti said...

We had a fun time at the Shelton History Center.

A Father's Day tradition for us!

Hi Robin! {{waving}}

MyMaracas said...

What a great little schoolhouse. Hope your Fathers Day was a happy one!