Saturday, July 21, 2012

Shadow Shot Sunday - Retro Ram

Maroon and black are a great pair, accenting chrome and a ram leaping off the hood (see it?)
Shadow Shot Sunday 2 reappears and we look at shadowy effect a bit more closely, our eyes on the prowl for such effects wherever they may be...Given my appreciation for old cars, especially the artistry of old Detroit style, my subject today takes us back seven plus decades.

Wide whitewall tires are perfect for 1936

The subject today has been posted about before - yet the artistry of the 1930s is infectious enough for publishing these again. 

This is a 1935 Dodge (Ram) pickup truck, styled more like a car (like a Ute in Oz/NZ). The utility aspect was there but the hints of color and shape from that decade are details that are so appealing...

Patti thinks I am also carhead-55 as I always take note of these sorts of detail (of course she is right :)
Shadows and reflection...






Bold colors like the maroon on the body with the round black fenders (wings) that is a nice complement. The body colored wheels with the thin chrome rings and equally shiny hub caps. Naturally, one cannot escape the chrome that is not overdone, actually a jewell like accent.
Of course, shadows are all about.- what Sunday could be complete without these? See more artistry in shadow at the always fun SSS2!



21 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Marvelous shadow for the day, Ralph! I do love the old cars you share with us! This one is just four years younger than I and it sure as heck has held up better than me!! Love it!! Have a great weekend!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

In that last shot, you have so many things going on: the reflection in the chrome, the glint of sunlight on the body, and the deep, mysterious shadows on the tire and under the car. Lovely!

Chubby Chieque said...

Old cars and men? Perfect combination. You did a great job, bro? MOTH is drooling for that car and wishes he see and touch them. Waaahhh....

Great shots...

Happy w/end to you and P.

Hugs from rainy Stockholm,
/Chie

frayedattheedge said...

Fabulous - I want one of them!!

robin. said...

did you happen to catch some of the car shots in my parade of faces post. i thought of you as i snapped them. great shots here ralph, as always. happy weekend to you and patti!!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Dear Ralph .. I just saw Patti's shadow shot : )
These cars are works of art .. how can you ever top the dramatic impact they have with such bold colours and designs .. very cool indeed ! LOL
Joy

Patti said...

Yep, you are an airhead and a carhead, but that's OK with me.

You have to use the whitewall tire photo for Circles!
It's a circle within a circle within a circle ... etc.

LV said...

You went back to the depression days when I was born. Great post.

Gemma Wiseman said...

More views of vintage artistry! The Dodge certainly has some dramatic presence! Delightful photos!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Especially love the tire picture... the reflection is great! Of course, it took us a while to get past those perfect white walls though! We agree the color combination makes for a striking vehical.

chubskulit said...

The second shot is my favorite, there's so much art in it.

Any advise and tips you could give to my shadow shot entry would be so much appreciated. Have a blessed Sunday.

Gerald (Hyde DP) said...

whilst i can't get too excited over an old car i do love the attention to detail and i like the reflection in the bumper (fender i think you call it)

BLOGitse said...

Those white tires are really white! Look so stylish...
These old cars are really beautiful but I like to drive a modern car :)
Have a good week ahead!

HOOTIN ANNI said...

Love this!!! You know since I grew up being the youngest and three older brothers and their cars, this is such a special treat for me to view your photos this week Ralph.

bj said...

Hi, Ralph, these shots are awesome. Love these. You always have such neat subjects.

I've been gone a lot this summer and put everything but posting on hold. I had fun but glad to be home. :)

Beverley Baird said...

There is something special about these old cards! Love the reflections in these as well!

jewaicious said...

What a great and nostalgic post, Ralph. I like the shadows, reflections and sense of past times.

jewaicious said...

What a great and nostalgic post, Ralph. I like the shadows, reflections and sense of past times.

EG CameraGirl said...

Wow, I didn't know Dodge Ram's date back that far!

colleen said...

Love the sparkle and refection.

Paula Scott said...

Sweet! I love old vehicles as you might know. I especially like the rims and the white wall on that Dodge.