Saturday, July 7, 2012

Shadow Shot Sunday - Independence Day Doings

The preliminary task is setting the table with paper, plastic and condiments
Cam cooks burgers ant bratwurst over charcoal
Shadow Shot Sunday 2 is back, and we persevere in our shadowy quest. Today reverts back three days to 4 July, to celebrate our day of Independence in the US for the 236th time. Fireworks displays are common, and we saw these in downtown Derby the night before. Naturally with many people off work on this holiday, families dining together outdoors is very common as well - with a side order of sun and shadow...

Dinner is being served
Friends and family share in the shadow and shade




















The charcoal flame has an orange glow, the humidity and high clouds not enough to douse the shadowy effects. Family and friend celebrate living in a free land together...see shadows from free people all over at the fun SSS2!

16 comments:

colleen said...

Hardly a shadow in sight in that colorful scene. I like the way the man's face is bathed in light.

Joan said...

Burgers and baked beans....perfect picnic food. :)

Paula Scott said...

Truly an American tradition! And, such great weather to do it in! It is good to stop and reflection and recognize our freedoms.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I can't resist asking: What is "ant bratwurst"? Some new insect variety of the old familiar sausage?

I know, I know: Just a typo. But don't deny me my fun, OK? :)

Beverley Baird said...

Lovely set up for a picnic! Great shots for the week!

MyMaracas said...

Great food, great company - what more could one want? Glad you had a happy Fourth!

NatureStop said...

Great way to celebrate!Enjoy your sunday!

Shantana

toby said...

Hope you had a great holiday! That corn looks really tempting...

Gemma Wiseman said...

Great celebration light and touches of shadows! Love how the man's face seems to be in a spotlight!

BLOGitse said...

Yummy!
I heard from news that some part of US it wasn't allowed to fireworks...I hope temperature will settle down.
We just got a refreshing rain last night.
Happy Sunday!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Dear Ralph
I love seeing how families celebrate holidays like this .. it is such a tradition to do a BBQ .. and over real charcoal ? PERFECT!!
We do what my American DIL says as "grilling" because it is over propane and so easy .. but, just between you and I ? charcoal gives such a wonderful flavor to any food cooked over it .. so I am jealous of your fest!
BUT .. hubby bought a tiny little kettle charcoal BBQ and my dream of roasting marshmallows will be happening in the Fall when it is much cooler and a load of fun to indulge in my marshmallow fantasy!
LOL .. I know .. I ask for very little but have such fun with it!
Joy : )

Dianne said...

I love your table setting
looks like a great way to get together :)

robin. said...

great memories continue-great shadow shots to boot!! love the festive tablecloth too!!

EG CameraGirl said...

On hot summer days, it's a true pleasure to eat in the shadows! That table cloth looks soooo patriotic!

frayedattheedge said...

Looks like you had a great time!!

chubskulit said...

Yummy! I'd settle for the corn on the cob hehehe. Have a blessed Sunday.